Posted to repo-maintainers@maven.apache.org by Kasper Sørensen <ka...@eobjects.dk> on 2008/12/14 23:15:58 UTC

Possibility to update or invalidate artifact?

Hi everyone,

I am in the sad situation that something went wrong with the artifacts
that have been uploaded/synchronized with the central maven repo...
The jars that I have uploaded where empty after running "mvn jar:jar
deploy:deploy". Apparently I should have used "mvn install
deploy:deploy", but that's another story).

I was wondering if it was possible to either invalidate/remove an
artifact from the repo or if it's possible to overwrite an existing
artifact somehow? On the "Guide to uploading artifacts to the Central
Repository" it says that "nothing is deleted or changed in the Central
Repository after it is synced", so I'm guessing it wont help to just
do a new deployment on my sync'ed repository? I can increment the
version of my artifact but that would be bad for the project roadmap
and it would also be quite confusing to users I think.

Best regards,
Kasper Sørensen

RE: Possibility to update or invalidate artifact?

representing the MetaModel and DataCleaner projects at eobjects.org

Re: Possibility to update or invalidate artifact?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

On 15/12/2008, at 10:34 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> We can delete it in such a case, but we would highly recommend you
> release a new version, not overwrite the existing one, to avoid any
> future confusion.

I should clarify.

It's been pointed out to me that empty JARs is probably not serious
enough to make an exception to the rules. While I'm hesitant to leave
"junk" in the repository, it should be clear that replacing it is not
an option because of the confusion that would occur if someone picks
up the empty JARs from an older mirror.

You should definitely release under a new version. We won't remove
anything for now, and I think you'd need to make a very strong case
for it for it to happen.

As Brian pointed out, mvn deploy is the right way to go, and you might
consider using the release and stage plugins to help manage the
process and vet the artifacts before they end up in your synced
repository as well.

HTH,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Possibility to update or invalidate artifact?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
We can delete it in such a case, but we would highly recommend you
release a new version, not overwrite the existing one, to avoid any
future confusion.

- Brett