Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/08 16:38:15 UTC

confusion on RDD usage in MatrixFactorizationModel (master branch)

Hi, all

I’m reading the source code of master branch

there is a new predict() function in MatrixFactorizationModel

/**
    * Predict the rating of many users for many products.
    * The output RDD has an element per each element in the input RDD (including all duplicates)
    * unless a user or product is missing in the training set.
    *
    * @param usersProducts  RDD of (user, product) pairs.
    * @return RDD of Ratings.
    */
  def predict(usersProducts: RDD[(Int, Int)]): RDD[Rating] = {
    val users = userFeatures.join(usersProducts).map{
      case (user, (uFeatures, product)) => (product, (user, uFeatures))
    }
    users.join(productFeatures).map {
      case (product, ((user, uFeatures), pFeatures)) =>
        val userVector = new DoubleMatrix(uFeatures)
        val productVector = new DoubleMatrix(pFeatures)
        Rating(user, product, userVector.dot(productVector))
    }
  }

it seems that the author can directly call join with a RDD object?

It’s a new feature in next version? I’m used to creating a PairRDDFunctions with the current RDD and then calls join, etc.

Did I misunderstand something?

Best,

--
Nan Zhu

Re: confusion on RDD usage in MatrixFactorizationModel (master branch)

Posted by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.
ignore that

These operations are
 * automatically available on any RDD of the right type (e.g. RDD[(Int, Int)] through implicit
 * conversions when you `import org.apache.spark.SparkContext._`.

--
Nan Zhu