Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Sreedhar, Dantam" <da...@deshaw.com> on 2004/10/12 14:07:00 UTC

Multisearcher question

Hi,

Index side information:

No. of indexes: Two (to explain better I call these as index_a and
index_b).

Fields in index_a: x and y.
Fields in index_b: y and z.

I have written a multisearch code like this.

Searcher search_a = new IndexSearcher(LOCATION_OF_INDEX_A);
Searcher search_b = new IndexSearcher(LOCATION_OF_INDEX_B);
Searcher[] searcher = new Searcher[2];
searcher[0] = search_a;
searcher[1] = search_b;
MultiSearcher searcher = new MultiSearcher(searcher);

I am getting the following results,

x:<query>                      - WORKS
x:<query> AND y:<query> - WORKS
x:<query> AND z:<query> - DOESN'T WORK

Is this expected behavior?

My question is, Can MultiSearcher be used to search on indexes with
different fields? If yes, could you please correct the above code.

Thanks,
-Sreedhar

Re: Multisearcher question

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
I think what Sreedhar is asking for is the capability to form a "join" across multiple indices - and if so, I could sure use that capability myself.  However, I think Lucene's logic focuses only on a single query, so I doubt if that's easily done.

  This is the expected behaviour.  The query is run against each index,
  and it won't have any matches in either index, because neither index
  has both fields.

  Otis

Re: Multisearcher question

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.