Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2008/07/11 19:24:28 UTC

Re: Can an HTTP server close the socket before its client has finished receiving the message?

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 19:19 +0200, Ortwin Glück wrote:

> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > The most plausible cause of this problem is a failure to flush the
> > output buffer on the server side. Given this is Weblogic, which is known
> > to be very stable, I admit this assumption does seem far fetched. So, I
> > would not rule out HttpCore SSL session behaving funny for some reason.
>
> A packet dump would reveal who's to blame.

I am not sure it is that easy for SSL encrypted traffic. Can Wireshark
decrypt SSL packets? We only know the expected length of unencrypted
content.

Oleg

Re: Can an HTTP server close the socket before its client has finished receiving the message?

Posted by Mike Dillon <mi...@embody.org>.
begin Oleg Kalnichevski quotation:
> On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 19:19 +0200, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> >
> > Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > > The most plausible cause of this problem is a failure to flush the
> > > output buffer on the server side. Given this is Weblogic, which is known
> > > to be very stable, I admit this assumption does seem far fetched. So, I
> > > would not rule out HttpCore SSL session behaving funny for some reason.
> >
> > A packet dump would reveal who's to blame.
> >

> I am not sure it is that easy for SSL encrypted traffic. Can Wireshark
> decrypt SSL packets? We only know the expected length of unencrypted
> content.

Yes, Wireshark can decrypt SSL traffic if it has the server's key:

    http://wiki.wireshark.org/SSL#head-37089fe34751c3129d84971ec4d83ad0322d35e1

It looks like it needs compiled with Gnu-TLS for this to work.

-md

Re: Can an HTTP server close the socket before its client has finished receiving the message?

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 19:19 +0200, Ortwin Glück wrote:
>> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>>> The most plausible cause of this problem is a failure to flush the
>>> output buffer on the server side. Given this is Weblogic, which is known
>>> to be very stable, I admit this assumption does seem far fetched. So, I
>>> would not rule out HttpCore SSL session behaving funny for some reason.
>> A packet dump would reveal who's to blame.
>>

> I am not sure it is that easy for SSL encrypted traffic. Can Wireshark
> decrypt SSL packets? We only know the expected length of unencrypted
> content.
>
> Oleg

Right, that could be a problem :-) Does this only happen over SSL?