Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2008/03/28 21:34:53 UTC

Change to full spring jar?

What are peoples thoughts about changing from using the minimal spring
jars to using the full spring jar?

The main advantages I see are:
* Debugging is eclipse works as the full spring jar has the sources jar
in maven.   This is huge to me. :-)
* Only one jar to deal with in lib (kind of, see disadvantages)
* Would be a little bit easier to write some of the testcases and stuff
around some of the other features (like aop) as we wouldn't need to
track down so of those extra dependency jars and such.

Main disadvantages:
* The main spring jars sucks in a TON of dependencies.   We'll have to
look at it very carefully for things that can/should be excluded.
Otherwise, we get a ton of EXTRA jars in lib.
* It's slightly larger.

Thoughts?

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: Change to full spring jar?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Friday 28 March 2008, Benson Margulies wrote:
> Could we short-stop the minimal jar in a repo under our control and
> attach a source?

I kind of hate to go that route for a couple reasons:
1) it's not one jar, there are several.  We could just do the four we use
now, but what happens when we add aop, then jms, then xxxx....

2) It makes it a LOT more work to upgrade to new versions of spring as
we'd need to create sources jars for everything.

Ideally, spring would just do it and have sources jars available in maven
already.  Hey, one of our mentors now works for them...... Hint...
Hint...   :-)

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: Change to full spring jar?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Change to full spring jar?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@verizon.net>.
The Spring team responded (link below still good) -- sources are
available for individual module jars as of Spring 2.5.  So the first
reason for switching may or may not still be valid--it depends on the
number of months we wish to wait before we upgrade to Spring 2.5.
(Perhaps CXF 2.1 should be released with Spring 2.5?)

Glen

Re: Change to full spring jar?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Change to full spring jar?

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Can we write some tool to point the whole spring source jar to the
subsetted jars of spring in the eclipse .classpath file?

Willem

Re: Change to full spring jar?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--