Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Martin U <uf...@googlemail.com> on 2010/03/08 14:36:31 UTC

Wicketstuff-Push without Dojo?

Hi Folks,

i need some COMETD or something equal implemention in my web-application. So
i found wickestuff-push. But as far as is see, it users dojo to do the
client-side magic.

I dont want to blow up my application more as it still is ;) so i want ask
for an wicket + comet workaround with jQuery or with wicket-own javascript
functionality.

thanks in advance for any hint.

- Martin

Re: Wicketstuff-Push without Dojo?

Posted by Rodolfo Hansen <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard, Your ideas seam very interesting.. I haven't had alot of time to
work on the project and am currently the only developer as the initial team
isn't responding. I will checkout your patch, and would love to continue
discussing changes with you.

Rodolfo Hansen
CTO, KindleIT Software Development
Email: rhansen@kindleit.net
Mobile: +1 (809) 860-6669

Re: Wicketstuff-Push without Dojo?

Posted by Richard Wilkinson <ri...@googlemail.com>.
>From what I have read, the cometd implementation used by
wicketstuff-push should work with any servlet 3 spec container (for
example the in development tomcat 7) as well as jetty 6+, however I
have only tried with jetty 6.  Using atmosphere allows it to work on
any container (even tomcat 4) however performance is not so good on
containers which don't have async features, unfortunately atmosphere
support is currently broken.

Posted by MattyDE <uf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Wilkinson <ri...@googlemail.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mc...@e-card.bg>.
On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 14:37 +0000, Richard Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have been working on the wicketstuff-push project offline; so far
> we have modified the code to run using jQuery (using wiQuery [1]) with
> the latest version of the cometd javascript, and fixed a few bugs /
> made some improvements. For example the current code wasn't as
> efficient as it could have been when you subscribe to more than one
> event per page.  We also have added a 'push model', where when you
> update the contents of a components model, that component is updated
> as usual with wicket ajax, and some helper code for working with
> wiQuery.
>
> All of this code is work-in-progress, but we want to start a dialog
> with the main developer(s) of the push project to see if we can
> contribute our work back to the community.
>
> We also experimented with using atmosphere [2] which allows cometd to
> work on more servlet containers than just jetty, but while the
> integration worked fine, there is currently a bug in the atmosphere
> code which means that it doesn't work with the current version of the
> cometd servlet [3].
>
> A version based only on wicket ajax sounds interesting, if you look at
> the jQuery binding, most of the actual work is done by the
> framework-agnostic cometd.js file, with jQuery providing the ajax
> mechanism and the JSON evaluation, however I know that the wicket ajax
> backend is being re-written in 1.5, so any work done on the 1.4 branch
> would be relatively short lived.
As far as I know Wicket 1.5 will not include Matej's experimental work
on wicket-ajax-ng.js with YUI3. This will be postponed to a later
release.
1.5 will be as it is now + improvements on the current features (Markup
parsing and URL handling).

Posted by Richard Wilkinson <ri...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,