Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Peake, Chris" <Ch...@ca.com> on 2002/11/01 00:08:27 UTC

RE: isolation of web services deployed on axis

Is this what people are doing in a production world?

I've been wondering what folks are doing in a complex environment with multiple web services. (i.e. 20+)

There are also the questions related to where a an applications jar has to be.  Currently the \lib dir.  There's always the possiblity a web service application jar could be named the same as another jar.  Yes, standards fixes this, but...
So the separation could prevent this issue.
But the duplication of axis jars is unpleasant.
And the very similar URLs might be confusing to an organization.

Is there a semblance of a 'production' environment out there that has lessons learned which could be shared?

chris

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
>>the trick is to stop having multiple apps in the axis webapp, and move to
>>one webapp per app, each with the axis libs (and servlets in web.xml)

>Is this what people are doing in a production world?

yes.

>I've been wondering what folks are doing in a complex environment with
multiple web services. (i.e. 20+)

hosting them on different boxes.

>There are also the questions related to where a an applications jar has to
be.  Currently the \lib dir.  >There's always the possiblity a web service
application jar could be named the same as another jar.  Yes, >standards
fixes this, but...
>So the separation could prevent this issue.

Separation is fundamental to isolation. It lets you
-hot restart one webapp while another one keeps going
-have different debug options for the different app
-use completely different versions of common libraries.

>But the duplication of axis jars is unpleasant.

no more unpleasant than duplicating xerces.jar,castor.jar, log4j.jar. Keep
them all under SCM, have a property file driven build process where each
project pulls in the appropriate version, so I can switch from castor 0.9.3
to 0.9.4 just by changing castor.version=0.9.4 and having the build process
pull in lib\castor-${castor.version}\castor.jar

The important thing is that by keeping all libraries you use under SCM, you
can always roll back to a working image.

>And the very similar URLs might be confusing to an organization.

what is confusing about

http://serverA/zermatt/services/getSnowConditions?wsdl and
http://serverA/SennenCove/services/getSurfConditions?wsdl

Or do you mean duplication of other URLs, like happyaxis? When you build
your own app, you only need to include the files you need. Thinks like admin
client requests need to go to the right place, but that is something else
you automate in your build file. Automation of deployment is almost a
prerequisite of a production process.

>Is there a semblance of a 'production' environment out there that has
lessons learned which could be >shared?

yes, mine.

http://www.iseran.com/Steve/papers/when_web_services_go_bad.html
    why automated deployment matters
http://www.iseran.com/Steve/papers/interop/
    how to test for interop
http://www.manning.com/antbook
    ch15: how to add axis to a webapp. ch17, automating deployment, ch12,
httpunit testing. happyaxis.jsp originated from chapters 12 and 15, BTW.