Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org> on 2012/06/06 18:24:57 UTC

Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.

Hi,

I have a requirement to send pw reset mails,send deals HTML mails etc.

So for this I was looking for some mail servers which can work with my
existing setup which I can integrate with Tomcat 7.0x,should have
pop3/smtp support.

can some one give me some  other names which I can check ?.

PS:I am going through apache james to see if it works for me.

- Kiran Badi

Re: Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 6/6/2012 12:24 PM, Kiran Badi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a requirement to send pw reset mails,send deals HTML mails etc.
>
> So for this I was looking for some mail servers which can work with my
> existing setup which I can integrate with Tomcat 7.0x,should have
> pop3/smtp support.
>
> can some one give me some other names which I can check ?.
>
> PS:I am going through apache james to see if it works for me.
>

> - Kiran Badi

I use JES (Java Email Server).  Works fine for me, and very simple to
configure.

Re: Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.

Posted by Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org>.
On 6/10/2012 1:49 AM, André Warnier wrote:
> [...]
>>

> Kiran,
>
> Let me try to explain again what several other people here have tried
> to explain to you already.
>
> There are two different and separate things here :
>
> 1) an email server, capable of
> - sending out the emails that your application is composing, toward
> email recipients that are "somewhere else"
> - receiving emails coming from other senders and destined to some
> local "email mailbox", and putting these emails in that mailbox, so
> that a local recipient can read them when they want
>
> 2) an interface library, which provides an API that makes it easy for
> your application to
> - compose emails that you want to send out; and forward these emails
> to the email server, so that it can send them out
> - connect to a mailbox, to read received emails that are waiting for
> someone to read them; and maybe parsing these emails, to extract
> something out of them; and maybe to forward one of these emails to
> some other mailbox.
>
> (1) is a separate package (like sendmail, exim4, courier, and several
> others).  You install it, configure it and run it as a daemon.  Then
> you create "email accounts" with that email server, so that it would
> have "email mailboxes" with "email addresses" to which external
> people/programs can send emails.
> This package can be written in any language, it does not matter; your
> programs will not directly call the internal functions of this email
> server, so it will make no difference whether it is written in Java or
> not.
>
> (2) is an API library, and for that one it will matter what language
> it is written in, because your programs will need to call functions of
> this library, to send outgoing emails or to read incoming emails that
> are sitting in one of the email server's mailboxes.
>
> Graphically :
>
> (your.program <===> email library) <---- SMTP or POP3 or IMAP -->
> email server <> Internet
>
> <===> are calls from your program, into functions of the library
> <---> is a TCP/IP connection between that library and some email
> server, and the "language" used over that connection is SMTP or POP3
> or IMAP
>
> It is similar to what you would use if your program needed to talk to
> another webserver:
>
> (your.program <===> HTTP Client library) <--- HTTP or HTTPS --> web
> server
> It does not matter if the web server is an Apache httpd, IIS, Tomcat
> or www.google.com, or whatever language that webserver is written in,
> or if it is local or remote.
>
> Similarly, it does not matter which email server you are going to
> use.  It just needs to support the email protocol you want to use and
> which your library supports.
>
> The /library/ is what matters.
> And for Java, the one that comes to mind first is Javamail.
> (It can help you composing ans sending emails; but I do not know if it

Thanks Andre. I am clear on what I want and thanks for clarifying it.

Re: Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 6/9/2012 2:35 PM, Kiran Badi wrote:

> Any feedback on apache james ?
>
>> I've never used it, so I can't comment. What I would ask is: why are
>> you are specifically looking for a Java-based mail server?
>>
> I was looking for open source server ,capable for serving atleast 5k
> mails daily to begin with.Since I am using java api, I am under
> impression that java based mail servers will have support for java api's.
>
> - Kiran

E-mail functions (POP3, SMTP) are based on RFCs and are programming
language-agnostic.  You can use any mail server with your javamail
program as long as they both comply with the applicable standards.  Of
course, with an open-source java e-mail server, you would have the
option of building the server directly into your application, with a
possible performance gain.  However, 5k messages per day is not enough
that performance is going to be an issue anyway.

Re: Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.

Posted by Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.

Posted by Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org>.
On 6/8/2012 12:17 PM, Jose María Zaragoza wrote:
>> Kiran: Is google mail a part of google apps or its normal gmail service
>> which we use ?.I feel there might be some limits on the number of requests
>> like google api's Can you elaborate more please.
>>
> Take a look this
>
> http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/products.html?section=gmail
>
> I don't know if this is good ( or if it's useful enough for you )
> because I don't have used it, but if I would like to work with GMail
> in a enterprise enviroment , I would look this first
Jose,I do have bunch of domains with google apps,but I havent checked if
I can reuse those with my application.Let me explore that as well.

Let me explain as What I want to do,

I have a web application which I am working on,in this application I
have certain features (think daily deals site) ,and I have send out
those daily deal information to my registered users via mail.In addition
to this sometimes I have to receive mail on behalf of my users and then
pass them to their mail ids.

This is requirement I have to work on now and for this I need some
servers to send and receive mails.

Re: Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.

Posted by Jose María Zaragoza <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org>.

If you are going to use Javamail to access a remote mailbox (even if
it's on localhost), then you can use any email server software that
otherwise meets your needs. Javamail can communicate with any POP3 or
IMAP server -- it need not be Java-based. You can even use Google Mail
as your email service if you want (for both SMTP/send and
POP3/IMAP/fetch).

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.

Posted by Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org>.
Thanks David ,I will research java email server and Chris for replying,

High level requirement which I feel I need is, to send mail(ex pw reset
mails, welcome mails, HTML Content deals mails etc), receive mails( yes
I need to receive mails as well),

Integrate well with Tomcat means that it should not have more set up or
communication issues talking to tomcat.I plan to use Javamail api's and
read mail servers parameters via web xml resources section.

Re: Can someone suggest mail some opensource mail server which works well with Tomcat.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.