Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2019/05/11 08:28:43 UTC

PR-1245 Splash Screens and About Dialogs

Hi all,

As discussed in the splash screen thread and NETBEANS-2455 [1], I
submitted PR-1245 [2] based on the ASF Identity Guide and the
contributions by J. Gosling and others. Thank you all for the contributions!

We now render the ${buildnum} (or a shortened version) using an Ant task
[3]. Also in [3] there's a SVG file that was used to generate the
template PNGs (also in [3]). Examples of this new "splash-screen" ant
task in [4], for instance.

I've uploaded a new binary with a TrueType font that we use at build
time (Montserrat-medium.ttf) but it seems there're problems with
synchronization that I'm currently tracking.

Feel free to discuss & improve.

Kind regards,
Antonio

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-2455

[2]
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1245

[3]
https://github.com/vieiro/netbeans/tree/feature/splash-screen-generation/nbbuild/antsrc/org/netbeans/nbbuild/assets

[4]
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1245/commits/fb4f31d1adca1c195e1c8bd9279d0f2e1a7058f4#diff-bb7425ff7ef5924e7c7757304f73fead

Re: PR-1245 Splash Screens and About Dialogs

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

El 11/5/19 a las 11:42, Neil C Smith escribió:
> On Sat, 11 May 2019 at 09:29, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
>> As discussed in the splash screen thread and NETBEANS-2455 [1], I
>> submitted PR-1245 [2] based on the ASF Identity Guide and the
>> contributions by J. Gosling and others. Thank you all for the contributions!
>> I've uploaded a new binary with a TrueType font that we use at build
>> time (Montserrat-medium.ttf) but it seems there're problems with
>> synchronization that I'm currently tracking.
>>
>> Feel free to discuss & improve.
>>

> Looks great!  And will definitely improve the release process.
>
> One query would be about using OSUOSL for the font file.  Wasn't there
> a general principle to move away from there in favour of Maven hosted
> artefacts where possible?  This font is available.  Could be a follow
> up?

Ah, good to know. Possibly a follow up, right? Not sure if the font
version is exactly the same, but I don't think what'd make a noticeable
difference. Download size will be bigger, though.

> Haven't looked carefully, but is there any impact to follow up on RCP branding?

I imagine that'd depend on whether RCP branding specifies SPLASH_WIDTH,
SPLASH_HEIGHT, SplashRunningTextBounds, SplashProgressBarBounds, etc.
(as in [1]) or relays on defaults.

IIRC the "Branding Dialog" for RCP apps allows you to fine-tune those
values, so I imagine most RCP apps will have their own settings for
those, and won't be affected.

Cheers,
Antonio

[1]