Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Marcelo Jara <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2014/01/18 04:07:29 UTC

Issues with redirect URL

Is this a bug?
I am using the HTTP sampler during a test and sometimes get redirected. There are two separate issues with these redirects which only exist when using HTTPClient3 and HTTPClient4.These issues so not exist when using the Java implementation.
Issue 1.The redirect URL has some characters URL encoded. So the one of the forward slashes is changed to %2F. What happens with HTTPClient implementations is that JMeter converts %2F back to a forward slash which causes the server to do another redirect. This errors out after the default redirect limit has been reached (5).
Issue 2.The request URL has some characters URL encoded. I guess the case is not correct. For example %2f instead of %2F. The server issuesa redirect with the cases changed. However Jmeter doesn't take the case sensitive changes and just plays basically the original request. This also causes an infinite redirect.

Again, both of these cases work with the Java implementations.
Example #1
Step 1: http://www.abc.com/reviews/Annunciation-of-Francesca-Dunn/Janis-Hallowell/1102809243?ean=9780060559205&isbn=9780060559205
Step 2: This results in a redirect to:  http://www.abc.com/reviews/Annunciation-of-Francesca-Dunn%2FJanis-Hallowell/1102809243?ean=9780060559205&isbn=9780060559205Notice that the forward slash after "Dunn" has been changed to %2F.
Step 3: Jmeter. Either converts changes %2F back to a slash or just disregards the change. It goes to basically the original request :        http://www.abc.com/reviews/Annunciation-of-Francesca-Dunn/Janis-Hallowell/1102809243?ean=9780060559205&isbn=9780060559205

Using the JAVA implementation, the %2F stays and page comes up.

Example #2
Step 1: http://www.abc.com/c/franklin-stany-pe%C3%B1a/296269
Step 2: This results in a redirect to : http://www.abc.com/c/franklin-stany-pe%c3%b1a/296269Notice that %C3 and %B1 has been changed to %c3 and %b1 respectively.
Step 3: Again, either Jmeter disregards the change or changes the case back to uppercase: http://pe01.barnesandnoble.com/c/franklin-stany-pe%C3%B1a/296269

Using the JAVA implementation, the redirect keeps the lower case letters.

Let me know if I am doing something wrong or if this is a bug. Thanks.

- Marcelo