Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Lacroix, Scott" <sl...@tycoint.com> on 2017/02/03 15:30:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Question about ProxyPass / Reverse Proxy

Hello All,

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I have done extensive Googling and I can't find it if it has!

What we're doing is using a Reverse Proxy setup to redirect a local request to another local URL:

ProxyPass /path/morePath/info http://localhost:7000/morePath/info retry=0 ttl=10
ProxyPass /path/morePath ws://localhost:7000/morePath retry=0 ttl=10
ProxyPass /path/ http://localhost:7000/ retry=0 ttl=10

That works MOST of the time. The problem we're seeing is this: If we try to pre-configure a system that is set up for DHCP but has no network connection (pre-configuring on a bench) and thus no IP address, we're having trouble with the redirect. BUT if I change the above to the following:

ProxyPass /path/morePath/info http://0.0.0.0:7000/morePath/info retry=0 ttl=10
ProxyPass /path/morePath ws://0.0.0.0:7000/morePath retry=0 ttl=10
ProxyPass /path/ http://0.0.0.0:7000/ retry=0 ttl=10

Then it works fine.

So my question is: what's the difference here? What exactly does mod_proxy do with the address 0.0.0.0, and why doesn't "localhost" work?

Thanks for whatever help you can give!

Scott LaCroix
Software Engineer | JCI / Tyco Safety Products
O: 978.577.4057<tel:603.669.4355> | F: 978.577.4392<mailto:978.577.4392> | slacroix@tycoint.com<ma...@tycoint.com>

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressees named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in respect of any information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and immediately destroy this e-mail and its attachments.