Oozie works with YARN?

Hi,

Oozie works with YARN?

Re: Oozie works with YARN?

Posted by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>.
oozie supports mapreduce actions and java actions.
You can use mapreduce-action for your job and mapreduce or java action to
validate the result.
Then you can use decision node to run fail or success (subsequent mapreduce
action) action.
Oozie does it out of the box.

RE: Oozie works with YARN?

Posted by Kondala Palaka <kp...@gurudatasolutions.com>.
Oozie workflow actions are at the granularity of a map-reduce job and nothing finer.  For what you are looking for, you could create two MR jobs -- the first one with map only (identity reducer) and the second one reduce only (identity mapper) -- and then coordinate them with oozie.

The MR framework doesn't allow for pausing between map and reduce for the simple reason that keeping track of the intermediate results (which are on local disk and NOT on hdfs) and the corresponding jobs will be troublesome.

My $0.02,
KP

Can I create an oozie workflow in java with actions like mentioned?

On 18-02-2015 21:02, Serega Sheypak wrote:
> what is job?
> Is it pure map-reduce | pig | hive?
> Oozie is workflow runner and a kind of the cron (later oozie versions).
> You can split you job in actions (oozie terminology).
> 1. run smth
> 2. validate result of smth
> 3. decision node: if validation ok, then continue, else fail.

>> I want to suspend a mapreduce job when the map tasks finish, execute
>> some code to validated data, and resume the job.
>> AFAIK, YARN doesn't have a way to suspend and resume running jobs. So
>> I was in using oozie to do this.
>>
>> Is this possible in Oozie?
>>

>> On 18-02-2015 20:50, Serega Sheypak wrote:
>>
>>> are trying to do?
>>> Generally, it works w/o any problems.

Re: Oozie works with YARN?

It is a pure map-reduce job.

Re: Oozie works with YARN?

Posted by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>.
what is job?

Re: Oozie works with YARN?

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@gmail.com>.
doing that is not possible, you cannot suspend MR jobs mid-flight. When you
suspend an Oozie WF, Oozie will run the action (MR in this case) till
completion and won't start then next one.

HTH

Re: Oozie works with YARN?

Posted by David Morel <da...@amakuru.net>.
This is an oozie workflow that you're describing. Maps or whatever else
running, possibly in parallel, then a shell action to produce your excell
sheet (could be java too or anything)… then whatever else you want to run
after. You also have decision nodes that you can use in oozie, and forks. I
don't think you'd want to stop anything down the pipeline.

David

Re: Oozie works with YARN?

Posted by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>.
word-count is map-reduce job.
Map reads words and send them as keys to reduce.
Reduce counts occurrence for each word.
It's impossible to suspend map-reduce execution. What are you trying to
verify?
The only way is only way is to split word-count on two map-reduece jobs:
map-only and mr-job.

Map-only could read words and apply combine function.
Then you can verify output.
Then start mr-job to finally aggregate counters for words.

Looks weird :)

Re: Oozie works with YARN?

Re: Oozie works with YARN?

Posted by David Morel <da...@amakuru.net>.