Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marc <ma...@linuxpro.nl> on 2003/11/23 10:20:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Too dificult: Apache v2 and bandwidth

Hi,

I posted my question before but not one reaction... So perhaps it is too
hard to answer or there might be another reason.

What I am looking for is a way to limit the bandwidth usage per virtual
host (say 1GB p/month per virtual host or so) For apache v1.3.x several
modules are available but I did not found anything for apache v2. ...Any
ideas, suggestions?

--
Ignorance is no excuse: Try linux today!

Re: [users@httpd] Too dificult: Apache v2 and bandwidth

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
> I posted my question before but not one reaction... So perhaps it is too
> hard to answer or there might be another reason.
>
> What I am looking for is a way to limit the bandwidth usage per virtual
> host (say 1GB p/month per virtual host or so) For apache v1.3.x several
> modules are available but I did not found anything for apache v2. ...Any
> ideas, suggestions?

There are some modules for bandwidth throtling, some of them ported to
Apache 2.0, like bwshare. Find some of them at :
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Apache-Overview-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.4

If you just want to limit the amount of traffic per month, that is a
different task (you will need to keep statistics in some kind of database,
in case server is stopped/restarted, etc.)   It seems better to me just have
appropriate logging and run a perl script over server logs to determine bandwidth
consumed by each host and act on that.

A good place to look for Apache modules is modules.apache.org

Cheers

Daniel

--
Teach Yourself Apache 2 -- http://apacheworld.org/ty24/

Re: [users@httpd] Too dificult: Apache v2 and bandwidth

Posted by Jez Hancock <je...@munk.nu>.
On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 10:20:30AM +0100, Marc wrote:
> What I am looking for is a way to limit the bandwidth usage per virtual
> host (say 1GB p/month per virtual host or so) For apache v1.3.x several
> modules are available but I did not found anything for apache v2. ...Any
> ideas, suggestions?
One method might be to use a little known module called
mod_log_bytes to keep track of transfer usage per vhost and implement
account / vhost suspension methods if a user/vhost goes over their
alloted transfer limit.

Good luck finding any information on mod_log_bytes though - it's
copyrighted by apache but last time I checked there was no documentation
on it aside from the actual source code itself.  I only found out about
the module after using cpanel and having to work out why the http transfer
logging wasn't working - at which point I found out how the logging is
actually performed.

If you do find any useful info on it (or if anyone else knows anything
about it) I'd be glad to know about it - searches turn up very little
info. :P

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/

Re: [users@httpd] Too dificult: Apache v2 and bandwidth

Posted by nico <tr...@hotmail.com>.
I have no answer for you because I search too for a apache 2 module to limit
bandwitch

Nobody can help us please ?