Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jesse Pelton <js...@PKC.com> on 2002/07/11 16:14:26 UTC

RE: Xerces versioning policies: re version definition in XercesDe fs.hpp && Outstanding Bug 9154

I'm not sure who should make such a decision. It doesn't feel weighty enough
to require a vote of committers, but it's not totally trivial, either. I've
reviewed the new XercesVersion.hpp file, and it's clear that if this change
is made, it will affect *all* references to version numbers from here on in,
not just _XERCES_VERSION.

If it's desirable to allow for more than 10 minor versions and/or revisions,
but there's reason to leave the string constants in their current minimal
form, I think we could accommodate that. We'd leave the base constants
(XERCES_VERSION_...) as they are, and continue to concatenate them to
produce derived string constants, but use math to transform them into the
numeric form. For instance, if we want to allow two digits for minor
versions and revisions, we could do something like:

#define _XERCES_VERSION (XERCES_VERSION_MAJOR * 10000 + XERCES_VERSION_MINOR
* 100 + XERCES_VERSION_REVISION)

(I'm sure I'll be put on notice if this is a lame idea.)

For what it's worth, I doesn't matter to me whether there's one digit or
two, or what format the string constants have. I do, however, think it's
important that the decision and its rationale be recorded in
XercesVersion.hpp, so it will be understood by those who follow.

I agree that there's no need to stipulate a number of digits in the major
version number.

-jesse-

Posted by Robert Buck <rb...@mathworks.com>.
Alby and Tinny, (anyone else) please comment on who may define such a
policy. I think Jesse's idea [below] is a good one. But it does need to be
deliberate and well documented, as he suggests.

At 10:14 AM 7/11/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm not sure who should make such a decision. It doesn't feel weighty enough
>to require a vote of committers, but it's not totally trivial, either. I've
>reviewed the new XercesVersion.hpp file, and it's clear that if this change
>is made, it will affect *all* references to version numbers from here on in,
>not just _XERCES_VERSION.

Anybody else listening in to this conversation... Who would make this
decision? Alby, Tinny?

>If it's desirable to allow for more than 10 minor versions and/or revisions,
>but there's reason to leave the string constants in their current minimal
>form, I think we could accommodate that. We'd leave the base constants
>(XERCES_VERSION_...) as they are, and continue to concatenate them to
>produce derived string constants, but use math to transform them into the
>numeric form. For instance, if we want to allow two digits for minor
>versions and revisions, we could do something like:
>
>#define _XERCES_VERSION (XERCES_VERSION_MAJOR * 10000 + XERCES_VERSION_MINOR
>* 100 + XERCES_VERSION_REVISION)

Hey, if it works. I think this is a fine idea.

>(I'm sure I'll be put on notice if this is a lame idea.)
>
>For what it's worth, I doesn't matter to me whether there's one digit or
>two, or what format the string constants have. I do, however, think it's
>important that the decision and its rationale be recorded in
>XercesVersion.hpp, so it will be understood by those who follow.

Agreed.