Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/11/19 18:47:27 UTC

Re: svn and symlinks?

pll@lanminds.com writes:
> How does svn deal with symlinks? Er, rather, will they be a problem?

It doesn't handle them at all right now, and probably won't before
1.0.  If you try to import them or add them to a working copy,
something will go wrong :-).

Re: svn and symlinks?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Paul Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com> writes:
> How does CVS handle this, or is this also a place where CVS breaks
> down?

I think CVS doesn't handle symlinks either.

Re: svn and symlinks?

Posted by Paul Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com>.
In a message dated: 19 Nov 2002 13:30:55 CST
Karl Fogel said:

>Since we don't yet support them, we would better return an
>SVN_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_FEATURE error right now, instead of silently
>mishandling them.  Can you file an issue with your recipe?  This
>shouldn't be too hard to patch.

Sure, I can do that.

>> I'm curious if there are plans to better handle symlinks in the
>> future.  And if so, how would that work in a cross-platform
>> environment, e.g. a windows client checking out a repo created from
>> on a UNIX-based platform where symlinks were used?
>
>There is an intention, but not yet a plan.  The questions you ask
>above are exactly what we'll need to figure out; but we've deferred
>the discussion until we're actually implementing the feature.k

Okay, fair enough.  Not a big deal right now.

--

Seeya,
Paul

Re: svn and symlinks?