Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/24 06:41:50 UTC

Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Well, probably it is the right time to decide: 11 or 11.0 ?

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Yeah, let’s vote. 😊

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
I suggest that those who're most in favor of more than 2 releases can start
making it happen right now -- evaluate some of the pull requests:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pulls

And help resolve the 600+ broken tests related to the introduction of
Graal.js parser:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d7a8738e6995ed51914fa42003c6eb750977d891603c4f0a81686203@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

If someone really wants more than 2 releases this year, then they really
need to take on at least the two activities above.

Gj

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
I agree with march and september for major, but not for having „optional“ minor releases or not. I don’t know whether we need another thread for that or not, I mean we already had that.

I know we can handle it with less process for the minor releases, as I said it somewhere in the mailing list, the biggest problem is still the transition phase and it will be less work after the transition. We have now over 2000 tickets open. Some are nonsense maybe, user related Problems, invalid stuff, bugs, feature requests etc. So yes we should have minor releases and not think about to not having them. There is always work todo.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Absolutely agree.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
➢ If someone really wants more than 2 releases this year, then they really
➢ need to take on at least the two activities above.

Yes, I know and I will, I Need to find some time to do it.

➢ Totally disagree.  NB  __IS__ Java -- not PHP, not JS.  That plugins
➢ can be written to allow NB to do wonderful things for those other
➢ languages is irrelevant to NB versioning.

No, NetBeans not Java, NetBeans is everything what NetBeans supports out of the box. PHP, C/C++, JS, HTML/CSS etc. are core Plugins. Yes they are plugins but they are part of the core. And they are Plugins, because NetBeans is module based. Nothing of them is related to the Version. Neither the Java implementation nor the other core Plugins.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
I see the difference between 11.0 and 11.1 being the same kind of
difference as between 8.0 and 8.1.

But no one I know of talked about "NetBeans 8.0", everyone talked about
"NetBeans 8".

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
So whatever we did for the previous release, can we do that for the next
release? Purely from the point of view of consistency, since at least IMHO
there’s not much difference.

Gj

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
<just for fun on>

Just to increase the insanity level, one of my former projects used
codnames from the periodic table of elements.

So what would you say on: Apache NetBeans Natrium? or just Apache
NetBeans Na, and when the patch version comes: Apache NetBeans Na+

</just for fun off>

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
I think this is something to discuss and we could probably reach consensus
around it without a vote. I’m in favor of it for its simplicity and indeed
alignment with other tools.

Gj

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Bourque <ch...@gmail.com>.
Just so you know, Eclipse stopped using this nomenclature recently!

From now on, it's going to simply be the year and month of release (e.g.:

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

> On 1/25/19 9:30 AM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> > I think whatever is super simple and clear is what we should do and
> > therefore I really like Emilian's suggestion.
>
> I think (hope?!) some of these suggestions were in jest.
> Let's keep it simple - version numbers are free, 1,2,3,4,5,6....I could
> continue for quite a while before I run out :)

Which suggestions were in jest? No, this is an extremely lengthy discussion
where everyone is very serious -- and I'm not sure this intervention is
helpful.

Yes, version numbers are free. OK.

Gj

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
+1 for calver. (Yearh.month)

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

RE: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
 Just to know, the format YYYYY.0M is a standard  to do this kind of versioning ?

Maybe for maven we can have also do the release as 2019.03-RELEASE (and for the old one 2018.09-RELEASE for (9.0),2018.12-RELEASE for (10)) so it may help know if there is a new version from a maven point of view. We are not bind to RELEASE... version I guess.

Anyway I will follow the decision.
Eric

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

RE: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Tomas Poledny <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
+1 to calendar versioning.

+1 to NOT using nicknames. I still have to learn if Debian Wheezy is
older or newer than Debian WhateverTheFlippingName

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Sure, but as you can see, we have different opinions about that. I mean if it is that simple, we can now start a vote for the suggestions?

Cheers

Chris

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

RE: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
I’m also fine with calender, I only wanted to say if we decide using the 0 at the end or not, we should be consistent. This was the point until 10. Sometimes we spoke About 10 sometimes we spoke About 10.0 there is written 10 there is written 10.0. Whatever we decide of 11, 11.0 or 2019.03 we should be consistent everywhere.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
From a branding perspective, 10 and 11 sound better. 'NetBeans 10',

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Sry for adding 3 mails in a row and not adding it into one, but smth else came into my mind. IntelliJ makes it different. They have 4 releases a year and they call it like the quarterly releases 2019.1, 2019.2 etc. I don’t want to say that I would prefer this way, I only wanted to say they don’t release only 2019 (patch 1 or whatever).

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Firefox is doing the same: 64.0.2. And I can remember, that they have FireFox 64.0 and not 64: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/64.0/releasenotes/

Cheers

Chris

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 16:52 Christian Lenz <christian.lenz@gmx.net wrote:

> There was no 8, there was 8.0 and it was not a minor, it was the major
> release after 7.3.

You're still missing my point! ;-) IMO 7.3, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 were all the same
level of release. They're only major / minor if you assume the intention is
semantic versioning, rather than mirroring Java compatibility. But for
building anything on top you could usually assume same or more things would
break between "minor" versions. At least that's been my experience, even if
NetBeans generally is pretty good with backward compatibility.

A vote would be a good thing, but it's not necessarily a minor cosmetic
issue. It could affect how / when certain changes go in. Or how
compatibility for plugins or platform is defined and communicated.

Best wishes,

Neil

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Re: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

AW: Apache NetBeans 11 or 11.0 ?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Maybe I missunderstand smth but we are talking only about removing the 0 or keep it. So like we have it until 10 now.
Still from my point of view, there was no reason from switching from 9.0 to 10 (and not to 10.0). So why now? We already have to change the number to 11.1 if we implement new features. Don’t forget we already had 7.2.1 and I think it was not the patch. I mean I don’t care About with or w/o but if we decide to remove it, we should remove it everywhere and not only for the end customer. If we will keep it, then we should Keep it everywhere and not talking about internal and external.

Here is, what I can say of the history:

7.0 Major
7.1 Minor (With some Features)
7.2 Minor (With some Features)