Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/01/12 08:06:08 UTC

can anyone explain how to add modules to win32 build?

I far prefer using pretty GUIs to cp and vi.

Re: can anyone explain how to add modules to win32 build?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Oh, you mean the MakeModuleMak stuff?

Yeah. Probably needs updating for VC 5, can't remember - and didn't it
get axed at some point?

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: can anyone explain how to add modules to win32 build?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
Oh, you mean the MakeModuleMak stuff?

Ok, that's better.

So if I want to add a new module to the win32 build (as a .dll), I have
to:

	- make ApacheModuleFoo.dsp (copying from some other .dsp is easier
than MakeModuleMak for a small number...)
	- load it and export a makefile
	- manually update Makefile.nt

anything else?

mod_speling seems to work fine under NT...

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@eu.c2.net>.
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Do you mean so that they build as part of the ApacheCore build, or do
> > you mean more of the existing scheme?
>
> I'm being sarcastic and saying that having to go through two zillion steps
> for each new .dll that I want to generate is a very dumb thing to do
> compared to the nice easy Unix way of being able to just cp whatever it is
> you have to use and edit the few places that need editing.

Yep, you've hit the biggest problem with Windows: you can't automate
anything. Well, you can do some things, but there are always things you
just cannot automate. Even with nice things like perl. That's the real
reason that I wouldn't use an NT server in real live (even more than
performance and stability reasons). And I'm sure sooner or later someone
has *got* to see through the nice GUI and "cheaper to adminster" arguments
to see that administering NT is actually a lot more difficult than Unix.

Then again they haven't so far, and IS department just higher more NT
gophers to do the donkey work of repetative tasks. Dumb.

//pcs

Re: can anyone explain how to add modules to win32 build?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
>On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
>> I far prefer using pretty GUIs to cp and vi.
>
>If its a core module (like mod_mime, mod_negotiation, etc) simply add the
>source file to the files in the ApacheCore project.
>
>But you probably want to build it as an external (DLL) module. So create a
>new project to build a DLL (if you want to late commit it to Apache, start
>the project in src/os/win32). Make src/main an include directory for the
>pre-processor. Link against ApacheOS.lib, ap.lib, ApacheCore.lib (in the
>appropriate "D" or "R" directories, for debug or release). Once built,
>move the DLL to /apache/modules (or wherever) and add a LoadModule line.
>
>Is that what you wanted to know?
>
>//pcs

I find that while developing a module your far better off adding it
to the core project.  You can't set breakpoints that persist from
one run to the next on a dynamicly loaded DLL.  Meanwhile I was getting
crashes of Apache, and the developer's studio when I had my module in
it's own DLL.  - ben

Re: can anyone explain how to add modules to win32 build?

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@eu.c2.net>.