Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/02/18 07:39:23 UTC

caps lock key and capital letters

Hi,

Pressing the Caps Lock key during an RDP session doesn't seem to have any effect at all. The user keeps typing lowercase.

I'm aware of this:
https://jira.glyptodon.com/browse/GUAC-850

A quick test at http://guacamole.apache.org/pub/tests/guac/keyboard-test with Firefox shows this:

guacamole keydown 0xffe5 Caps lock
guacamole keyup 0xffe5 Caps lock
guacamole keydown 0x41 U+0041 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
guacamole keyup 0x41 U+0041 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
guacamole keydown 0x42 U+0042 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B
guacamole keyup 0x42 U+0042 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B
guacamole keydown 0x43 U+0043 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C
guacamole keyup 0x43 U+0043 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C

Guacamole-client and server are from GIT master.
Firefox client is v 60.7.2, but I believe more recent versions have the same issue.

Also tried Google Chrome and Edge, but the same issue is seen there too.

Vieri

Re: caps lock key and capital letters

Posted by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscopecloud.com>.
Hi,

We're using guacamole to give a customer access to an editing application and this issue is really becoming a major problem for them. They keep complaining about it.
We're considering to provide financial support for a resolution to this issue. Can you help us in how to proceed from here?

Thank you,
Carlos

> On February 18, 2020 at 5:01 PM Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Feb 17, 2020, 23:39 Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>         > > Hi,
> >
> >         Pressing the Caps Lock key during an RDP session doesn't seem to have any effect at all. The user keeps typing lowercase.
> >
> >         I'm aware of this:
> >         https://jira.glyptodon.com/browse/GUAC-850
> >
> >         A quick test at http://guacamole.apache.org/pub/tests/guac/keyboard-test with Firefox shows this:
> >
> >         guacamole keydown 0xffe5 Caps lock
> >         guacamole keyup 0xffe5 Caps lock
> >         guacamole keydown 0x41 U+0041 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
> >         guacamole keyup 0x41 U+0041 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
> >         guacamole keydown 0x42 U+0042 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B
> >         guacamole keyup 0x42 U+0042 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B
> >         guacamole keydown 0x43 U+0043 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C
> >         guacamole keyup 0x43 U+0043 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C
> >
> >     >
>     The keyboard events are being interpreted correctly on the client side, and the Caps Lock key is having an effect. That effect is just being (incorrectly) undone by a different system:
>
>     The automatic layout translation that is part of the RDP support is automatically pressing Shift for those uppercase letters, expecting that this is needed to produce the desired character because Shift is not already held down. This then has the opposite of the intended effect due to Caps Lock.
>
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-518
>
>     - Mike

Carlos Villegas
Senior System Engineer