Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ry...@stpaul.com on 2002/11/22 15:42:48 UTC

FOP on Mainframe

Hello,

I'm trying to run FOP 0.20.4 on an IBM OS/390 mainframe, running under Unix
System Services.  I also use Saxon as the XML parser and XSL transformer.
I get this error:

Error at byte 3 of
file:/u/tsryana/LMR/StandardRpts/xsl/StandardReportsPDF.xsl:
  Error reported by XML parser: invalid UTF-8 byte (check the XML
declaration) (
code: 0xa7)

I also tried Xerces and Xalan, and got this message fragment (the whole
message is too long to cut and paste):

ÝFatal Error¨ StandardReportsPDF.xsl:1:39: Content is not allowed in
prolog.
javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException:
javax.xml.transform.Trans
formerException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in
prolog
..
        at
org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl.newTemplates(Transf
ormerFactoryImpl.java:995)
        at
com.stpaul.xsl.StylesheetCache.getTemplates(StylesheetCache.java:79)
        at com.stpaul.pdf.PDFGenerator.renderPDF(PDFGenerator.java:72)
        at
com.stpaul.totalclient.lmrstdrpts.control.StandardRptBatchController.
renderPDF(StandardRptBatchController.java:448)
        at
com.stpaul.totalclient.lmrstdrpts.control.StandardRptBatchController.
createPdfForResult(StandardRptBatchController.java:95)
        at
com.stpaul.totalclient.lmrstdrpts.control.StandardRptBatchController.
run(StandardRptBatchController.java:504)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:512)
---------

Here's the start of the XML declaration of the style sheet:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

So both XML/XSL parsers are complaining about style sheet.  The run the
same exact process on a Windows 2000 machine and it works flawlessly.

I remember that when 0.20.4 came out, one of the changes was that it now
works on EBCIDC machines.  But, I still get this error.

Does anybody know if this is an FOP problem or some sort of problem with
the XML/XSL processors, or with the encoding of the style sheet on the
mainframe?  Ideas for fixes?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Re: FOP on Mainframe

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Ryan.Asleson@stpaul.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run FOP 0.20.4 on an IBM OS/390 mainframe, running under Unix
> System Services.  I also use Saxon as the XML parser and XSL transformer.
> I get this error:

[..]

> I remember that when 0.20.4 came out, one of the changes was that it now
> works on EBCIDC machines.  But, I still get this error.

Those changes concerned only the PDF creation.

> Does anybody know if this is an FOP problem or some sort of problem with
> the XML/XSL processors, or with the encoding of the style sheet on the
> mainframe?  Ideas for fixes?

As someone already mentioned this sounds like a problem with the
encoding. How do you load the stylesheet?

Christian