Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tim Bunce <Ti...@ig.co.uk> on 2000/08/11 22:49:54 UTC

Re: DBD-Oracle and mod_perl

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 01:54:51PM +0100, Tommy Wareing wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 08:27:06AM -0400, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> >
> > hi everyone...
> >
> > I was just wondering if anyone has been able to get the newer releases of
> > DBD-Oracle to work under mod_perl?
> >
> > that is, using DBD-Oracle 1.04, 1.05, and 1.06, under perl 5.005 (RH6.0
> > standard) and DBI-1.14 I get consistently non-working results, but only when
> > running under mod_perl.  If I revert to 1.03, all is fine again...
>
> Tim's changed the Makefile.PL to include
> $::opt_b = 1;   # try to use Oracle's own 'build' rule
> (it used to default to 0).
>
> Unfortunately, this has the side effect of requiring you to set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load the libararies, and to my knowledge (not very
> much knowledge), there's no way to actually set this value back to 0,
> other than editing the script.

The real problem is that for some reason the generated Makefile no
longer has a -R$ORACLE_HOME/lib option on the linker command line.
(Which means that the built shared object doesn't 'remember' where
to find the library at runtime.)

I've not had time to investigate why 'Makefile.PL -b' has that effect.

I'd welcome anyone else looking into it.

Tim.