Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thomas Meyer <th...@m3y3r.de> on 2017/03/25 11:31:51 UTC

Tomcat base directory layout

Hi,

Does there exists a small helper tool that can create the minimum necessary directories and files in a new CATALINA-BASE directory ? Or a template zip file or something like this?

Such a tool would be helpful, because I always struggle what directories are minimum necessary to  start a new instance.

With kind regards
Thomas

Re: Tomcat base directory layout

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 12:31:51PM +0100, Thomas Meyer wrote:
> Does there exists a small helper tool that can create the minimum necessary directories and files in a new CATALINA-BASE directory ? Or a template zip file or something like this?
>
> Such a tool would be helpful, because I always struggle what directories are minimum necessary to  start a new instance.

Not in the standard Tomcat kit, I think.  Gentoo Linux has its own
tomcat-instance-manager.bash script which does this.  You might be
able to adapt it.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Apache_Tomcat

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu

Re: Tomcat base directory layout

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 25.03.2017 12:31, Thomas Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does there exists a small helper tool that can create the minimum necessary directories and files in a new CATALINA-BASE directory ? Or a template zip file or something like this?
>
> Such a tool would be helpful, because I always struggle what directories are minimum necessary to  start a new instance.

As far as I know, there does not yet exist something like that, at least not as part of
the standard tomcat distribution.
But it should not be immensely hard to create one using a scripting language (such as sh,
perl, python,..).
You could for example use the Apache httpd script "a2enmod" as a starting point.
(that's a perl script, usually found in /usr/sbin on Linux systems)
One difficulty may be in making this generic enough to work on all platforms, considering
that various packaged distributions have a tendency to spread the tomcat files all over
the place.
Another difficulty would be, if you intend to run separate tomcat instances
simultaneously, that you would need to change at least the port numbers for the
Connectors, in the conf/server.xml file.
And then you would need separate startup scripts in /etc/init.d (or separate "service"
definitions). And you'd need separate logfiles for the different instances.
Hmm, this is starting to sound like a real project..