Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Ted Neward <te...@tedneward.com> on 2007/01/01 06:13:26 UTC

RE: Next Release

Hey, guys, some thoughts for a v.Next release from one who's principally a
user, not a toolkit developer:

(*) The samples definitely need some fleshing out, in that most of them come
from the same perspective (that of WSDL/Contract-first). Not everybody
writing XML services is going to want to take the hit of learning WSDL, so
something that demos an approach that's "code-first, contract-aware", IMHO,
is going to go over well.

(*) How about demos-and/or-support for SOAP-over-SMTP/POP3? And/or
SOAP-over-UDP? And other transports come to mind, such as Jabber/XMPP.

(*) Small nit: Make SOAP 1.2 the default for java2wsdl. Please. SOAP 1.1 is
dead (for which we should all give thanks), let's let it rest in peace.

(*) A WS-Eventing implementation would be VERY cool. (Had I the time, I
would step up here and volunteer to build it, but alas....)

(*) Ditto for WS-Discovery.

(*) I don't currently see any support for WS-Addressing anywhere thus far;
am I just not looking in the right places, or is this something that you're
waiting on JAX-WSA to finish up before shipping, or....?

Feel free to ignore any or all of these, of course. :-)

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com

12:47 PM

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Hi Ted,

On 1/1/07, Ted Neward <te...@tedneward.com> wrote:

> Hey, guys, some thoughts for a v.Next release from one who's principally a
> user, not a toolkit developer:

Great!

(*) The samples definitely need some fleshing out, in that most of them come
> from the same perspective (that of WSDL/Contract-first). Not everybody
> writing XML services is going to want to take the hit of learning WSDL, so
> something that demos an approach that's "code-first, contract-aware",
> IMHO,
> is going to go over well.

Yeah, that is definitely a problem at the moment.

(*) How about demos-and/or-support for SOAP-over-SMTP/POP3? And/or
> SOAP-over-UDP? And other transports come to mind, such as Jabber/XMPP.

Mainly thats a time issue at this point. And also no one has asked really.
XFire has an XMPP transport which we haven't ported yet, but I would like to
at some point. Are you seeing a real practical need for any of these?

(*) Small nit: Make SOAP 1.2 the default for java2wsdl. Please. SOAP 1.1 is
> dead (for which we should all give thanks), let's let it rest in peace.

Hmm in the Java and C# world, yeah, SOAP 1.2 is alive and well. I'm not so
sure that all the scripty type languages support the soap 1.2 wsdl
extensions though.

(*) A WS-Eventing implementation would be VERY cool. (Had I the time, I
> would step up here and volunteer to build it, but alas....)

Agreed... Trying, believe me...

(*) I don't currently see any support for WS-Addressing anywhere thus far;
> am I just not looking in the right places, or is this something that
> you're
> waiting on JAX-WSA to finish up before shipping, or....?

We have support for WS-A  under the covers, I don't think its documented
though. Can anyone comment on how to use it from a user perspective?

Feel free to ignore any or all of these, of course. :-)

Feedback is most welcomed.

Regards,

- Dan

Ted Neward