Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Shane Dell <sh...@apache.org> on 2023/06/27 19:26:48 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Daffodil VS Code Extension 1.3.0-rc4

Hello all,I'd like to call a vote to release Apache Daffodil VS Code 1.3.0-rc4.

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be
found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/daffodil/daffodil-vscode/1.3.0-rc4

This release has been signed with PGP key
86DDE7B41291E380237934F007570D3ADC76D51B, corresponding
to shanedell@apache.org, which is included in the KEYS file here:
https://downloads.apache.org/daffodil/KEYS

The release candidate has been tagged in git with 1.3.0-rc4. The binaries

For reference, here is a list of all closed GitHub issues tagged with 1.3.0:
https://github.com/apache/daffodil-vscode/milestone/4?closed=1

Please review and vote. The vote will be open for at least 72 hours
(Friday, 30 June 2023, 3:30pm EST).

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Documentation for 1.3.0 can be found here
Apache Daffodil Extension for Visual Studio Code v1.3.0 Wiki
<https://github.com/apache/daffodil-vscode/wiki/Apache-Daffodil%E2%84%A2-Extension-for-Visual-Studio-Code:-v1.3.0>.

Please note one of the large features that was focused on in 1.3.0 was
improving the data editor. To open the data editor you will need to open the
command palette using:

- Ctrl + Shift + P (windows/linux)
- Command + Shift + P (mac)

Then typing "data.edit", make sure "Daffodil Debug: Data Editor" is selected
and then hitting enter. By default the data editor will run on port 9000 of
your machine. However, if you want to use a different port follow steps here
Data Editor Launch Settings
<https://github.com/apache/daffodil-vscode/wiki/Apache-Daffodil%E2%84%A2-Extension-for-Visual-Studio-Code:-v1.3.0#data-editor-launch-settings>

Thank you,

- Shane Dell

Re: [VOTE] Apache Daffodil VS Code Extension 1.3.0-rc4

Posted by Robert Strickland <rs...@apache.org>.
+1

I was able to run through a simple test case of initializing and debugging the .xsd files from
the DFDLSchemas repository and experiences no issues.

I also tested the Data Editor functionality to ensure that it aligned the the target goals of
the 1.3.0 release of the extension, which it met.

Looking forward to 1.3.1!

Posted by Davin Shearer <da...@apache.org>.
+1

The Data Editor, while not perfect, is functional for small files (under
1MB), and it's much more functional than the experimental Data Editor in
1.2.0.  DFDL Intellisense is more robust and complete over 1.2.0.  The user
documentation for 1.3.0 (on the wiki) has also improved.  The VSIX was easy
to install and uninstall, and the settings were easy to access and update
from within VS Code.

-Davin

Posted by Shane Dell <sh...@apache.org>.
Mike,

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Shane Dell <sh...@apache.org>.
+1. I checked packages for vulnerabilities, there are some for package "semver", however this is
only a dev dependencies so is not shipped so this shouldn't stop 1.3.0 going through. It looks
like some node dependencies are missing from the LICENSE/NOTICE/NONOTICE files, these
being:

- @omega-edit/client
- quick-format-unescaped

However, this also shouldn't stop the vote from passing and these can added in 1.3.1. All scala
dependencies were listed, these were the only one's missing between both node and scala.