Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Lohmann <da...@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> on 2006/06/01 03:51:48 UTC

checkout-only files with svn - How?

Hi,

I have a set of files (user configuration files) that are required to
build the project, but are modified per-user on the users side.

Hence, I want these files to be checked out / updated only if they do
not exist. Morover, changes to them should never be committed into the
repository.

I experimented with svn:ignores, however, svn refuses to check out
ignored files on the first checkout :-)

Anything else I can try?

Thanks a lot!

Daniel

Re: checkout-only files with svn - How?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 5/31/06, Daniel Lohmann <da...@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> I have a set of files (user configuration files) that are required to
> build the project, but are modified per-user on the users side.
>
> Hence, I want these files to be checked out / updated only if they do
> not exist. Morover, changes to them should never be committed into the
> repository.
> Anything else I can try?

With Ant-built Java projects, there is often a
'build.properties.sample' file that users/developers are expected to
copy and modify.  The sample is in the repository, but the customized
'build.properties' files are not under version control and are never
checked in.

HTH,
--
Wendy

Re: checkout-only files with svn - How?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 2, 2006, at 03:21, Daniel Lohmann wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt schrieb:
>
>> On Jun 1, 2006, at 05:51, Daniel Lohmann wrote:
>>
>>> I have a set of files (user configuration files) that are
>>> required to build the project, but are modified per-user on the
>>> users side.
>>>
>>> Hence, I want these files to be checked out / updated only if
>>> they do not exist. Morover, changes to them should never be
>>> committed into the repository.
>>>
>>> I experimented with svn:ignores, however, svn refuses to check
>>> out ignored files on the first checkout :-)
>>
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ignore-commit
>
> Thanks Ryan!

>> I have a file in my project that every developer must change, but
>> I don't want those local mods to ever be committed. How can I make
>> 'svn commit' ignore the file?
>>
>> The answer is: don't put that file under version control. Instead,
>> put a template of the file under version control, something like
>> "file.tmpl".
>> Then, after the initial 'svn checkout', have your users (or your
>> build system) do a normal OS copy of the template to the proper
>> filename, and have users customize the copy. [...]
> <<< FAQ <<<
>
> This is, however, exactly what I don't want my users to have to
> do :-( The files are actually the project files of the build
> environment, so I can't let the build system do the template copy
> (as it would not start without them). And extra run-me-after-first-
> checkout-scripts would be kind of tedious, as they had to be
> developed for many different platforms.
>
> I understand that I am currently lost here. However, are there any
> plans to add a feature such as a "svn:checkout-only" property to svn?

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any such plans.

I haven't had to use this technique myself yet, but it sounds like
something you'd only have to do right after you check out a working
copy, which is not something you're supposed to have to do that
often, hence it's not supposed to be so inconvenient to manually
rename a few files before getting to work. Are you creating new
working copies very often? If so, why? Or are there a very large
number of files that are having to be renamed in this way?

Re: checkout-only files with svn - How?

Posted by Daniel Lohmann <da...@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>.
Thanks Ryan!

 >>> FAQ >>>
I have a file in my project that every developer must change, but I
don't want those local mods to ever be committed. How can I make 'svn
commit' ignore the file?

The answer is: don't put that file under version control. Instead, put a
template of the file under version control, something like "file.tmpl".
Then, after the initial 'svn checkout', have your users (or your build
system) do a normal OS copy of the template to the proper filename, and
have users customize the copy. [...]
<<< FAQ <<<

This is, however, exactly what I don't want my users to have to do :-(
The files are actually the project files of the build environment, so I
can't let the build system do the template copy (as it would not start
without them). And extra run-me-after-first-checkout-scripts would be
kind of tedious, as they had to be developed for many different platforms.

I understand that I am currently lost here. However, are there any plans
to add a feature such as a "svn:checkout-only" property to svn?

Have fun!

Daniel

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Maxim Abrashkin <ma...@yandex.ru>.
Hi,

> I have a set of files (user configuration files) that are required to
> build the project, but are modified per-user on the users side.
>
> Hence, I want these files to be checked out / updated only if they do
> not exist. Morover, changes to them should never be committed into the
> repository.
>
> I experimented with svn:ignores, however, svn refuses to check out
> ignored files on the first checkout :-)
>
> Anything else I can try?

You can put under version control templates for user configuration
files. Each user can make his own modified version of this files, which
are not under version control.

--
Maxim