Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org> on 2019/10/07 21:13:47 UTC

[REPORT] Calcite - October 2019

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and
planning queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows
database-like access, and in particular a SQL interface and advanced
query optimization, for data not residing in a traditional database.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Calcite was founded 2015-10-22 (4 years ago)
There are currently 45 committers and 20 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 9:4.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Stamatis Zampetakis on 2019-04-13.
- Julian Feinauer was added as committer on 2019-09-10
- Mohamed Mohsen was added as committer on 2019-09-18

## Project Activity:
Development and mailing list activity is steady for both Calcite and its
Avatica sub-project.

Calcite 1.21.0 was released in the middle of September, including more
than 100 resolved issues and maintaining a release cadence of roughly
one release per quarter.

We are also seeing new faces on the mailing list and opening pull
requests on Github. In terms of pull requests, our committers and
contributors have made a lot of progress to provide feedback to open
pull requests and filed issues in a timely manner. This is evidenced by
the open pull requests on Github receiving comments within a couple of
days after being opened.

Members of the project also participated in ApacheCon NA last month,
presenting 5 talks about Calcite.

Finally, the Apache Ignite project has decided to adopt Calcite as its
SQL execution engine, replacing H2. This is an exciting development and
is a testament to the sound foundation and community the Calcite project
has developed.

## Community Health:
Activity levels on mailing lists, git and JIRA are normal for both
Calcite and Avatica with a slight decrease in code contributors and
commits (7% and 1% respectively).

The rates of pull requests being closed and merged on Github has
increased by 16%, as we work to clear our backlog and we are also seeing
a 7% increase in opened pull requests.

Since the last report, we have added 2 new committers, Julian Feinauer
and Mohamed Mohsen.

We expect further growth in these numbers as Apache Ignite works to
integrate Calcite into their project, resulting in cross-pollination
between the 2 projects.