Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stuart Lowes <st...@internode.on.net> on 2006/03/02 01:32:22 UTC

Unable to connect to http://server:8180 with tomcat4_4.1.31-3 on debian sarge

Hi

I have installed tomcat4 on Debian sarge using 'apt-get install tomcat4
tomcat4-webapp tomcat4-admin'. This installed dependencies also. I have
a valid Java installation with sun j2sdk1.4 (by means of a created
j2sdk1.4_1.4.2-1_i386.deb), and have set JAVA_HOME to /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4.

Initially I was seeing this error in the catalina log file:

(org.apache.commons.digester.D
igester).
Created MBeanServer with ID: f47bf5:109b84dff2d:-8000:tcl-log0:1
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1
ServerLifecycleListener: processContainerAddChild: MBeanException
java.lang.Exception: ManagedBean is not found with Log4JLogger
         at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils.createMBean(MBeanUtils.java:480
)

Searching on google led me to comment out the following in
/etc/tomcat4/server.xml:

   <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"
             debug="0"/>
   <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
             debug="0"/>

The tomcat4 server was then able to start with these log entries:

Stopping service Tomcat-Standalone
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/lib/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/lib/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4
Using Security Manager
(org.apache.commons.digester.D
igester).
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1
2006-03-02 10:50:26 CoyoteConnector Coyote can't register jmx for protocol
2006-03-02 10:50:26 CoyoteConnector Coyote can't register jmx for protocol

I can see the port 8180/tcp in netstat:

# netstat -eapn|grep 8180
tcp6       0      0 :::8180                 :::*
LISTEN     105        417937     21368/java

But cannot connect to the tomcat server via web browser. The tcp
connection seems to connect, but times out after 30 sec or so.

Can you offer any suggestions on how to fix this problem or where I can
  check the configuration further? Also, any ideas how to resolve the
log4j and MBeanException errors?

Cheers,

Stuart