Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Erik Innocent <ei...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/26 23:41:47 UTC

Slow fade sadness

Hi, all! I've got a new and fun problem to discuss with you. So, I'm using
the FadeTransition to fade a label. Concurrently, I'm sometimes using a
custom decorator to blink an image. (Come to think of it, maybe a
Transition would technically be more appropriate for blinking than a
Decorator, but whatever...) The fade lasts about two seconds, and the
blinking five seconds (when it happens).

I've noticed a few things, on my Macbook Pro i7 2.7GHz with 8GB and
otherwise low CPU load...

   - I've got the FadeTransition set to 10Hz, but the fade calls hit at
   around once per 300ms with 100% CPU utilization
   - If I comment-out the Label.repaint() method, the fade calls hit every
   100ms, as intended (but no fading happens, of course)
   - The image blinking is configured for 2Hz, but during the fade, the
   blinks are irregular due to high CPU load. When the fading stops, the
   blinks become regular. This is my biggest issue, since it looks really bad.

I'm considering trying something advanced, like passing the Label.repaint()
call to an Executor so it doesn't block, and then the blink callback can
hit in a timely manner. But I'm reading Java Concurrency in Action, chapter
9 ("GUI Applications"), and it talks about how most GUI
frameworks (including Swing... which Pivot sits on, right?) are already
single-threaded, and for a reason. I'm going to try the Executor and see
how it works, though I'm guessing I'll just be shifting the issue from one
thread to another, but I have to try something. In the mean time, I'm
curious to hear if you have advice regarding this slow redraw issue I'm
seeing that is causing the blocking. Maybe there is a non-blocking
Component.redraw() I don't know about... =)

Thanks in advance for your time!

Cheers,
--E

RE: Slow fade sadness

Posted by "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Ro...@actian.com>.
I'm wondering why you needed to copy FadeTransition instead of just
using it?  Just to see why it wasn't working right by commenting out the
repaint()?

I would use VisualVM to do CPU profiling (this is what I've used):
https://visualvm.java.net/profiler.html  So, I don't have any experience
with JConsole.  But, if you have JProfiler I would just use it.  What
you're basically trying to find out is where it is spending all its CPU
time when it goes to 100% (probably using "Hot Spots" view).

HTH,

~Roger

Posted by Erik Innocent <ei...@gmail.com>.

RE: Slow fade sadness