Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk> on 2003/10/15 18:13:46 UTC

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Apache::AuthenSmb]]

Hello again,

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, speeves wrote:

> BTW, how are we dealing with forwards again?  (Do I just send them
> forward, or just copy on the reply?)

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but I don't think it
really matters as long as things are clear.  If when you forward mail
you don't add something to the message body to explain what's happened,
make sure that your mail doesn't look like somebody's trying to harvest
email addresses, or get around anti-spam measures.  IIRC we don't have
anything in the mod-perl email-etiquette document which specifically
mentions it.  I don't know how the various mail archives get along
with the heap of prefixed Fwd: and Re: things, maybe someone with a
better understanding of those packages than I have can help us there.

It's not generally acceptable to reply in private to mail posted on
lists, for one thing many of the people who help out on lists get a
staggering quantity of mail and for another it can waste the time of
the people who answer questions, for example because they may not see
part of the thread or may not know that it's been closed.  A few of
us who have been corresponding on the mod_perl List for years will
ignore that convention on occasion when we talk to each other about
something of relatively little importance to the List.  If you see
that happen, bear in mind that we usually know when it's acceptable.

73,
Ged.

Re: how to forward emails

Posted by Shannon Eric Peevey <sp...@unt.edu>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> Here is how I normally do that, YMMV. It's pretty clear that I didn't
> write the message below ;) You may want to strip the CC and other
> headers...

Thanks, ya'll :)

speeves
cws

Re: how to forward emails

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ronald Beck wrote:
> In UNIX, there's also something called a .forward file which can contain
> an email address to send to.  For example, if John had an account on
> SysA but he wanted his email to go to SysB, he would create a .forward
> file in his home directory that would contain the following...
>
> 	john@SysB
>
> This would alert the UNIX sendmail procedure to automatically forward
> all mail to john@SysA to john@SysB.
>
> For a more indepth discussion of this, I would recommend reviewing the
> documentation at "man forward".

I believe this is not what speeves was after, he wanted to forward some of the
relevant bug reports to this list, not all his email.

Re: how to forward emails

Posted by Ronald Beck <rb...@tqtx.com>.
In UNIX, there's also something called a .forward file which can contain
an email address to send to.  For example, if John had an account on
SysA but he wanted his email to go to SysB, he would create a .forward
file in his home directory that would contain the following...

	john@SysB

This would alert the UNIX sendmail procedure to automatically forward
all mail to john@SysA to john@SysB.

For a more indepth discussion of this, I would recommend reviewing the
documentation at "man forward".

HTH,
Ron

Re: how to forward emails

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by speeves <sp...@unt.edu>.
Ged Haywood wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, speeves wrote:
>

>>BTW, how are we dealing with forwards again?  (Do I just send them
>>forward, or just copy on the reply?)
>>

>I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but I don't think it
>really matters as long as things are clear.  If when you forward mail
>you don't add something to the message body to explain what's happened,
>make sure that your mail doesn't look like somebody's trying to harvest
>email addresses, or get around anti-spam measures.  IIRC we don't have
>anything in the mod-perl email-etiquette document which specifically
>mentions it.  I don't know how the various mail archives get along
>with the heap of prefixed Fwd: and Re: things, maybe someone with a
>better understanding of those packages than I have can help us there.
>
>It's not generally acceptable to reply in private to mail posted on
>lists, for one thing many of the people who help out on lists get a
>staggering quantity of mail and for another it can waste the time of
>the people who answer questions, for example because they may not see
>part of the thread or may not know that it's been closed.  A few of
>us who have been corresponding on the mod_perl List for years will
>ignore that convention on occasion when we talk to each other about
>something of relatively little importance to the List.  If you see
>that happen, bear in mind that we usually know when it's acceptable.
>
>73,
>Ged.

Thanks for the answer :)  I have been somewhat perplexed with this, as I
frequently receive direct emails from people that are using modules that
I've ported.  As I have a 1-2 day latency in answering their questions,
it helps for me to go ahead and forward the message on to the list so
that people, such as yourself, can probably help them faster that I.  I
will probably continue this in the future, but copy them, and note that
it is a forward in the message.

thanks,
speeves
cws