Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by wis-test <te...@softenergy.de> on 2004/12/01 02:03:19 UTC

to many WARN logs

Hello there,

since we use ojb 1.0.1 we find in our tomcat logs many messages like this:

[org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl] WARN: No running tx
found, please only store in context of an PB-transaction, to avoid
side-effects - e.g. when rollback of complex objects

Could it be a little bug? In my opinion it's not necessary each object
to set into a transaction, isn't it.

regards

Thomas

Re: to many WARN logs

Posted by Thomas Franke <fr...@softenergy.de>.
Armin Waibel wrote:

> No. With enabled PB-tx you shouldn't get warnings of missing PB-tx.
> Do you made changes in PersistenceBrokerImpl or ConnectionManagerImpl?
> Could it be concurrency issue? Do several threads using the same PB
> instance?
I didn't make any changes in PersistenceBrokerImpl or
ConnectionManagerImpl? That's your job not mine. ;)

I call only this:

broker = PersistenceBrokerFactory.defaultPersistenceBroker();

O.K., I will make another code review and I hope I'll find something.

regards

Thomas

Re: to many WARN logs

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Thomas Franke wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
>> It's not a bug it's a feature :-) No, it's only a warning but very
>> helpful by telling you: Hey man, could it be you forget to bound your
>> transaction. I see it just like the deprecation messages displayed by
>> the javac - ignore them as you like, but using transactions isn't only
>> good style ... and to have _some_ WARN logs of these isn't hardly a
>> problem ;-)
>
> O.K. I understand and I have made a code review.
> I changed my code e.g. to this:
>
> broker.beginTransaction();
> broker.store(something);
> broker.commitTransaction();
>
> But I have the same log outputs. Can it be?

No. With enabled PB-tx you shouldn't get warnings of missing PB-tx.
Do you made changes in PersistenceBrokerImpl or ConnectionManagerImpl?
Could it be concurrency issue? Do several threads using the same PB
instance?

regards,
Armin

Re: to many WARN logs

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Thomas Franke wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
>> sorry, I was for 2 days out of office, now my comments below ...
>
> Thanks, Thomas.
>
>> Normally not. This coding does it for me. Wherever I changed my code
>> in this manner, I don't got the warning _for this place_ anymore ... I
>> think you got the warning further because your change didn't capture
>> each occurrence of unTXed stores to db.
>
> Well, I'll look for each store methode without transaction and change it
>  in the right way.
>
>> The only criticism with the warning I see is that it won't tell you
>> where a tx was missed.
>
> I thing so too.

This will change in next release. Setting logging level to INFO will
additionally print a stack trace of the causing code.

regards,
Armin

Re: to many WARN logs

Posted by Thomas Franke <fr...@softenergy.de>.
Hi Thomas,

> sorry, I was for 2 days out of office, now my comments below ...
Thanks, Thomas.

> Normally not. This coding does it for me. Wherever I changed my code in
> this manner, I don't got the warning _for this place_ anymore ... I
> think you got the warning further because your change didn't capture
> each occurrence of unTXed stores to db.
Well, I'll look for each store methode without transaction and change it
  in the right way.

> The only criticism with the warning I see is that it won't tell you
> where a tx was missed.
I thing so too.

regards

Thomas

Re: to many WARN logs

Posted by Thomas Paradies <pa...@transit-online.de>.
Hi Thomas,

Re: to many WARN logs

Posted by Thomas Franke <fr...@softenergy.de>.
Hi Thomas,

RE: to many WARN logs

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
> if you store objects without a PB-tx the Connection autoCommit is
> enabled. Thus if you try to store an object with references e.g. A-->B
> OJB first write B then write A. If insert of A fails, B could not be
> rollback (autoCommit enabled). That's why I introduced this warning on
> store/delete operations. If you store/delete only objects without
> references, then you can ignore this warning.

Fair point. Although a lot of the data in the systems i'm talking about is a
child in a collection, and are being updated individually.  References are
all auto-update=false as the data they are referencing will be read only.

>  > these messages as there is a lot of data access.  This adds too much
> noise
>  > to the logs of deployed apps.  I think that perhaps these messages
> should be
>  > demotes to INFO.
>
> Using OJB without PB-tx for store/delete could be dangerous, so in my
> opinion a warning seems adequate. Or do you think this is "INFO"
> level only?

Not sure.  I tend to use WARNING and ERROR as runtime problems. ie. ERROR
for 'oh dear i've crashed' and WARNING for 'somthing dont look right'. And
then INFO and DEBUG for development/debugging.  However that doesnt
necessarily apply to everyone!

What are other peoples thoughts?

Daniel.

Re: to many WARN logs

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel,

Re: to many WARN logs

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>.
Daniel Perry wrote:

>I too have noticed these warnings.  I have a couple of apps where i have
>used no transactions (as they seem pretty pointless for the apps in
>question - all 'shared' data is read-only), and they are generating a LOT of
>these messages as there is a lot of data access.  This adds too much noise
>to the logs of deployed apps.  I think that perhaps these messages should be
>demotes to INFO.

In general this is not a good idea because in most cases the data is not
read-only and then it *is* a warning. Also, you can always tune the
warning level for individual classes (e.g. set the level to ERROR for
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl).

Tom

RE: to many WARN logs

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.

Re: to many WARN logs