Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Chris <ms...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/11 15:41:39 UTC

Metrics

Hi,

I'm fairly new to NIFI and I've got two standalone NIFIs set up to do secure
site-to-site and I'd like to monitor the health and status of the nodes and
the dataflows running through them beyond what is shown in the summary and
monitoractivity. I'd like to be able to see the bandwidth of the data
transferred as an aggregate and per data flow and be able to set thresholds
of when it drops too low or if it spikes, how much of the buffer on the node
is used and if it's saturated, track a node if it's down, etc. If it crosses
the threshold then send an alerting email. So basically be able to check the
health / status / performance going from the component to the system level,
aggregate data flows, and the health of NIFIs. Searching through the
archive, I see references to using the reporting tasks, Ambari (if using
HDFS), and ELK via ganglia being used to help monitor but it's not clear how
to implement this and if it can do the things I mentioned. Is there a way to
build this in NIFI or do I have to push data via the API to another service?
Can someone point me to examples of how to use the reporting task or a
tutorial on how to implement metrics via ELK?

Thanks,
Chris