Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Anthony Chadszinow <ac...@squiz.net> on 2008/10/27 00:49:11 UTC

Difficult Jmeter Replication Help

Hi all,

I have set up tests to test an application all in one test plan.  The
plan is to run, lets say as 10 threads and all threads are performing
the same set of actions.  Those actions take about 8 minutes per
thread.  What I have noticed about the application being tested is there
is an independent frame which refreshes every 2 minutes.  It doesn't
matter what else goes on in the main application, that frame still
refreshes every 2 minutes.  The independent frame performs some mundane
actions as well during the refresh which need to be replicated.
Replication sounds simple enough.  I figured if I'm going to have 10
threads running in the main thread group then I can run another 10
threads in another thread group doing the mundane independent frame
requests.

The problem is the two frames are related by one thing and that is the
authentication clearance stored in a cookie of the main thread group.
That cookies contents would need to be shared with its partner thread so
it can make the requests properly.  I don't know how to do this or even
if it's possible.  I can't make the second partner thread group just log
itself in because that would be double the login requests I'm really
meant to be performing.

The other problem is I was considering running those mundane requests in
an infinite loop which should stop just before the partner test does the
log out action.  How can I communicate between partner threads so at a
certain point in thread 'A' it tells its partner thread to terminate its
loop.

Any help would be appreciated.  If it's not entirely possible then let
me know how far I can take it & I'll decide if it's acceptable for this
project.

Cheers,
Anthony

--
Anthony Chadszinow
MySource Classic Lead Developer

Squiz
92 Jarrett St Leichhardt, Sydney NSW, Australia 2040
t:    13000 SQUIZ ( Support )
t:    8507 9900 / 1300 130 661
f:    8507 9988
w:    www.matrix.squiz.net
w:    www.squiz.net

Sydney  |  Melbourne  |  Canberra  |  Hobart  |  Wellington  |  London

Open Source  - Own it  -  Squiz.net

IMPORTANT:This email (and any attachments) is commercial-in-confidence and
or may be legally privileged and must not be forwarded, copied or shared
without express permission from Squiz. If you are not the intended
recipient, you may not legally copy, disclose or use the contents in any way
and you should
contact squiz@squiz.net immediately and destroy this message and any
attachments. Thank you.

Re: Difficult Jmeter Replication Help

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26/10/2008, Anthony Chadszinow <ac...@squiz.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have set up tests to test an application all in one test plan.  The plan
> is to run, lets say as 10 threads and all threads are performing the same
> set of actions.  Those actions take about 8 minutes per thread.  What I have
> noticed about the application being tested is there is an independent frame
> which refreshes every 2 minutes.  It doesn't matter what else goes on in the
> main application, that frame still refreshes every 2 minutes.  The
> independent frame performs some mundane actions as well during the refresh
> which need to be replicated.  Replication sounds simple enough.  I figured
> if I'm going to have 10 threads running in the main thread group then I can
> run another 10 threads in another thread group doing the mundane independent
> frame requests.

What is a frame? Are you referring to an HTML frame which is perhaps
refreshed by some Javascript every 2 minutes?

If so, then surely you can just add the relevant requests to the
existing thread at the appropriate points; this will avoid having to
communicate between threads.

>  The problem is the two frames are related by one thing and that is the
> authentication clearance stored in a cookie of the main thread group.  That
> cookies contents would need to be shared with its partner thread so it can
> make the requests properly.  I don't know how to do this or even if it's
> possible.  I can't make the second partner thread group just log itself in
> because that would be double the login requests I'm really meant to be
> performing.

This has been discussed before. JMeter variables are private to
threads, but properties are global. Or you could create a file. I
assume each thread has a different cookie; in which case you will need
to store the values in a set of properties/files, e.g. using the
threadNum function to provide the thread number.

>  The other problem is I was considering running those mundane requests in an
> infinite loop which should stop just before the partner test does the log
> out action.  How can I communicate between partner threads so at a certain
> point in thread 'A' it tells its partner thread to terminate its loop.

Again, this could be done with a (numbered) property, and an If
Controller with a Test Action child to stop the thread.

>  Any help would be appreciated.  If it's not entirely possible then let me
> know how far I can take it & I'll decide if it's acceptable for this
> project.

I suggest you try out the control logic using some dummy Java Request
samplers. Instead of a cookie, the samplers could return a string
containing the thread number, and you can check that this is passed to
the partner thread OK.