Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Mallieswari Dineshbabu <dm...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/29 07:24:24 UTC

Re-distribute Phoenix 4.8 or later without any License issues due to nested libraries

Hi Team,

We would like to include the following Phoenix *distribution* into our
product and re-distribute the same.

https://archive.apache.org/dist/phoenix/apache-phoenix-4.12.0-HBase-1.2/bin/

Though the License is listed as Apache License Version 2.0, there are *many
nested dependencies in the license file*.

https://github.com/apache/phoenix/blob/4.12-HBase-1.2/dev/release_files/LICENSE

Could you please clarify us the following,

   1. Can we *re-distribute* Phoenix distribution after doing some minor
   changes in conf files like sqlline.py to mention Hadoop path? (We will ship
   the License file as well)
   2. Will the nested libraries mentioned in License agreement will *not
   result with any problem* for us once we distribute?

Please let me know in case of any queries,

--
Thanks and regards
Mallieswari D

Re: Re-distribute Phoenix 4.8 or later without any License issues due to nested libraries

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Please note that the following does not constitute legal advice. Please
consult a lawyer.

--

The LICENSE and NOTICE files are provided, as a convenience, to users of
Apache Phoenix so that they are aware of the licenses and copyright of

If you choose to redistribute Apache Phoenix as a part of some other
product, it is your responsibility to investigate all licenses (and
their requirements imposed upon you) and ensure that you comply with all
of them, both Apache Phoenix's and bundled third-party software.

Please be aware that there are also guidelines in how you refer to
Apache Phoenix when it is modified/redistributed:
https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/