Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/09 01:02:57 UTC

Update to ICLA to include github id

I propose to modify the ICLA to include the submitter's github id. These days, with GitHub, projects propose new committers and all they really know about them is the contributors' github id. This sometimes makes it challenging for Secretary to find the corresponding PMC vote, which delays things. If the github id is included in the ICLA, it's much easier to verify the project and the status of the contributor.

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Update to ICLA to include github id

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 8:57 PM Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:

> What’s the ask here? Once someone has an Apache id then they can map their ids using id.Apache.org? They also need to enable 2FA in GitHub.
>
> While more awkward any committer can use gitbox.com.
>
> Maybe, submitting an ICLA should also be requesting an apacheid?

FWIW -- the above is exactly what I'm confused about as well.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Update to ICLA to include github id

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
What’s the ask here? Once someone has an Apache id then they can map their ids using id.Apache.org? They also need to enable 2FA in GitHub.

While more awkward any committer can use gitbox.com.

Maybe, submitting an ICLA should also be requesting an apacheid?

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
+1 for optional Github Id

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
PMCs can already use the account request form directly with a link to
the vote thread. That doesn't help when the person submitting the ICLA
doesn't have one on file yet. It doesn't help when I get an ICLA
without a project and userid included. It doesn't help when PMCs make
vote threads for new committers using their GitHub username instead of
a real name. These are the general problems being solved here as far
as I can tell.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
+1 for optional Github Id

wrote:

> +1 to make it optional.
>
> Willem Jiang
>
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
>
> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 4:32 PM Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 5:47 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
> > > ...Since recent projects trend to use GitHub and GitHub names instead
> of real
> > > names. It can make it hard to match ICLAs to real people so I think it
> > > makes sense to have it on the ICLA form. Best to probably make it
> optional
> > > as not everyone have a GitHub account...
> >
> > I agree that an optional GitHub username field might be useful but IMO
> > making it optional is a MUST.
> >
> > Requiring someone to have a GitHub account before they can get an
> > Apache ID would be very wrong.
> >
> > -Bertrand

+48 660 796 129

Re: Update to ICLA to include github id

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 to make it optional.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Since recent projects trend to use GitHub and GitHub names instead of real
names. It can make it hard to match ICLAs to real people so I think it
makes sense to have it on the ICLA form. Best to probably make it optional
as not everyone have a GitHub account.

Thanks
Justin

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 12:10 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 7:21 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Roman,
> >
> > I understand that GitHub now recommends (not enforced) that people use a single
> > GitHub id for all of their interactions on the service, and to specifically delete all
> > accounts except for the one account. They can then merge the deleted accounts
> > to their one account.
>
> Where is this coming from? Do you have a URL? I'm simply asking because it goes
> directly against most employer's recommendations that I know of.
>
> > [So this is different from Google mail accounts, which Google encourages folks to have multiple accounts for different purposes.]
> >
> > If people have multiple GitHub accounts, the one on the ICLA would be the one that they plan to have associated with their Apache id in future.
> >
> > Apache will only allow an Apache id to be associated with one GitHub id so I think we are ok there. Happy to have operations verify this.
>
> There's a LOT of things to unpack here, but I'm still not sure what
> problem are we trying to solve.

I think it is quite useful for the new podling project.
As the contributor or the initial committer doesn't have Apache id at
that time,  using the github id could help us track the contribution
in the first place.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Note that LDAP currently allows for multiple githubUsername entries,
as does Whimsy.

There are over 60 people with more than 1 entry listed.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roman,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Matthew Sacks <ma...@matthewsacks.com>.
I'm for this generally but what about committers without a github? IE
gitlab, bitbucket, etc?

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 6:03 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I propose to modify the ICLA to include the submitter's github id. These
> days, with GitHub, projects propose new committers and all they really know
> about them is the contributors' github id. This sometimes makes it
> challenging for Secretary to find the corresponding PMC vote, which delays
> things. If the github id is included in the ICLA, it's much easier to
> verify the project and the status of the contributor.
>
> Craig
>
> Craig L Russell
> clr@apache.org

Thank you, Matthew