Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Arjun Panday <ar...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2010/03/02 12:25:00 UTC

EventAdmin and Import-Service optional

Hi all,

I'm not sure whether this is an EventAdmin or Bindex issue, or both..

The EventAdmin bundle has an Import-Service in its manifest, on services
which I believe are optional (org.osgi.service.event.EventHandler,
org.osgi.service.log.LogService and org.osgi.service.log.LogReaderService).

Yet, they are not marked as optional and are reflected as such in my
OBR.. In turn my OBR resolver fails when I have no provider for these
services.

Now I've tried to add ";resolution:=optional" to the Import-Service
directive in the manifest, but Bindex continues to generate "require"
tags with "optional='false'".

Am I mistaking or this should be fixed in both EventAdmin and Bindex?
Should I create a JIRA? (or 2!)

Incidentally I noticed that Import-Service and Export-Service headers
are deprecated, but I don't see why; I believe the information is
valuable in the OBR..

Thanks,
Arjun

Re: EventAdmin and Import-Service optional

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 3/2/10 9:04 AM, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:
> If I recall correctly the Import-Service manifest header is a comma
> separated class names of exported services. It does not support
> attributes or directives. This is a significant limitation in my view
> and makes Import-Service fairly useless. This is almost certainly why
> bindex does not pay attention to an attempt to set a resolution
> attribute.

Import-Service/Export-Service are actually deprecated, but there is no
reason we cannot use them and adopt the extended common OSGi header
syntax for them. If bindex ignores this, then I would say it is a bug in
bindex.

-> richard

Posted by Arjun Panday <ar...@alcatel-lucent.com>.
done: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-2156

/arjun

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Right, I suppose we should remove this header if the imported service
is not really a requirement to avoid misleading OBR.  Arjun, would you
please raise a JIRA for that ?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 15:04, Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org> wrote:
> If I recall correctly the Import-Service manifest header is a comma
> separated class names of exported services. It does not support
> attributes or directives. This is a significant limitation in my view
> and makes Import-Service fairly useless. This is almost certainly why
> bindex does not pay attention to an attempt to set a resolution
> attribute.
>
> Alasdair
>
> On 2 March 2010 11:25, Arjun Panday <ar...@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm not sure whether this is an EventAdmin or Bindex issue, or both..
>>
>> The EventAdmin bundle has an Import-Service in its manifest, on services
>> which I believe are optional (org.osgi.service.event.EventHandler,
>> org.osgi.service.log.LogService and org.osgi.service.log.LogReaderService).
>>
>> Yet, they are not marked as optional and are reflected as such in my OBR..
>> In turn my OBR resolver fails when I have no provider for these services.
>>
>> Now I've tried to add ";resolution:=optional" to the Import-Service
>> directive in the manifest, but Bindex continues to generate "require" tags
>> with "optional='false'".
>>
>> Am I mistaking or this should be fixed in both EventAdmin and Bindex? Should
>> I create a JIRA? (or 2!)
>>
>> Incidentally I noticed that Import-Service and Export-Service headers are
>> deprecated, but I don't see why; I believe the information is valuable in
>> the OBR..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Arjun

> Alasdair Nottingham
> not@apache.org

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: EventAdmin and Import-Service optional

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
If I recall correctly the Import-Service manifest header is a comma
separated class names of exported services. It does not support
attributes or directives. This is a significant limitation in my view
and makes Import-Service fairly useless. This is almost certainly why
bindex does not pay attention to an attempt to set a resolution
attribute.

Alasdair

On 2 March 2010 11:25, Arjun Panday <ar...@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure whether this is an EventAdmin or Bindex issue, or both..
>
> The EventAdmin bundle has an Import-Service in its manifest, on services
> which I believe are optional (org.osgi.service.event.EventHandler,
> org.osgi.service.log.LogService and org.osgi.service.log.LogReaderService).
>
> Yet, they are not marked as optional and are reflected as such in my OBR..
> In turn my OBR resolver fails when I have no provider for these services.
>
> Now I've tried to add ";resolution:=optional" to the Import-Service
> directive in the manifest, but Bindex continues to generate "require" tags
> with "optional='false'".
>
> Am I mistaking or this should be fixed in both EventAdmin and Bindex? Should
> I create a JIRA? (or 2!)
>
> Incidentally I noticed that Import-Service and Export-Service headers are
> deprecated, but I don't see why; I believe the information is valuable in
> the OBR..
>
> Thanks,
> Arjun

Alasdair Nottingham