Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Hamza Asad <ha...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/17 19:40:57 UTC

which approach is better

Please let me knw which approach is better. Either i save my data directly
to HDFS and run hive (shark) queries over it OR store my data in HBASE, and
then query it.. as i want to ensure efficient data retrieval and data
remains safe and can easily recover if hadoop crashes.

--
*Muhammad Hamza Asad*

Re: which approach is better

Posted by Bennie Schut <bs...@ebuddy.com>.
The best way to restore is from a backup. We use distcp to keep this
scalable : http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.2.0/distcp2.html
The data we feed to hdfs also gets pushed to this backup and the
metadatabase from hive also gets pushed here. So this combination works
well for us (had to use it once).
Even if a namenode could never crash and all software worked fine 100%
of the time there is always the one crazy user/admin who will find a way
to wipe all data.
To me backups are not optional.

Re: which approach is better

Posted by Hamza Asad <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
*Muhammad Hamza Asad*

Re: which approach is better

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: which approach is better

Posted by "kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com" <ku...@gmail.com>.
First of all, that might not be the right approach to choose the underlying
storage. You should choose HDFS or HBase depending on whether the data is
going to be used for batch processing or you need random access on top of
it. HBase is just another layer on top of HDFS. So obviously the queries
running on top of HBase are going to be less efficient. So if you can get
away with using HDFS, I would say that is the best and simplest approach.

--
Swarnim