Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Simon Reavely <si...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/25 03:03:41 UTC

Question on security - support for encryption of data at rest and in flight, and user authentication

Hi,

Can someone summarize for me whether Drill can be used in secure
environments. The areas of interest are:

1. Encryption at rest (storage)
2. Encryption in flight (Drill to user, and intra drill)
3. Authentication, auditing and accounting

Cheers,
Simon

--
Simon Reavely
simon.reavely@gmail.com

Re: Question on security - support for encryption of data at rest and in flight, and user authentication

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Drill doesn't address the storage issue at all.  This makes the question of
data encryption at rest moot, at least for Drill.

Secure handshake between nodes is relatively easy.  Full link encryption is
likely pretty expensive on top of that and gives little incremental benefit
over handshake.  None of this is implemented yet.

Posted by Jason Altekruse <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi simon,

We certainly have goals to add security to Drill, but currently nothing has
been done on this front as far as I know. One of our developers Steven
Phillips recently completed a hive storage engine, which should support any
on disk encrypted formats supported by Hive.

So far the creation of users sessions and communication between nodes is
all unencrypted. Thanks for your interest in Drill, you can feel free to
join us at our hangout tomorrow at 9am Pacific if you would like to talk
about our plans for security in Drill.

-Jason