Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2003/04/08 09:48:10 UTC

how to vote for PMC chair? (was: Resigning from Cocoon PMC Chair)

Le Mardi, 8 avr 2003, à 09:23 Europe/Zurich, Torsten Curdt a écrit :

> ...Geez! Carsten, Steven, Sylvain...
> ...that's not an easy vote :-/

you bet!

I think for some people being the PMC Chair is seen as a boring thing,
for others it can be valuable in terms of reputation/references so it
would be very hard for me to vote. In this particular case I'd be +1 on
all three.

So, if it is hard to choose I'd suggest:
-wait 24 hours for other candidates to come forward
-publish the list of candidates here for voting
-PMC members vote for each candidate (+1 +0 -0 -1 as usual), can give
+1 to several of them
-the choice between candidates having the same number of votes is made
randomly.

-Bertrand

Re: how to vote for PMC chair? (was: Resigning from Cocoon PMC Chair)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Mardi, 8 avr 2003, à 09:56 Europe/Zurich, Dirk-Willem van Gulik a
écrit :

> ...You may want to consider a closed, rather than an open ballot. This
> may improve quality....

of course - I didn't know this was possible here, but it makes sense.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> -wait 24 hours for other candidates to come forward

Experience has shown that you need a -lot- more to catch people across the
worlds their time zones and folks which have other real-live jobs on the
side. Expects days at the very least.

> -publish the list of candidates here for voting
> -PMC members vote for each candidate (+1 +0 -0 -1 as usual), can give
> +1 to several of them

You may want to consider a closed, rather than an open ballot. This
may improve quality. See the 'voter' code in ~voter for instructions of
how to use.

You may want to have a look at something like:

	http://www.apache.org/~dirkx/pmc-email-ballot-example.txt

which goes through a cycle of getting candiates, establishing that they
really want to be included (we've had people volunteered by others without
their knowledge), correction of account and email info (a few % is always
off), updating of the committer list (agan a few % is always off) and so
on. Also note that the actual voting segment for a large part is now
automated by the 'voter' subsystem.  Which can be used for any commiter
group in /etcgroup.

Dw.