Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Gustavo Narea <in...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/16 23:07:47 UTC

Is this an error?

Hi.

I was translating the document
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/en/howto/auth.html when I found this
phrase: "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
to the browser unencrypted (...)".

I think the author meant that Basic authentication sends the password
from the server to the browser unencrypted... What do you think about it?

This phrase can be found @ "Getting it working" section.

Happy weekend.

Gustavo Narea.

Re: Is this an error?

Posted by Gustavo Narea <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Daniel Lopez escribió:
> Yes, but I think he was refering to the wording :)
>
> Instead of :
>  "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
>  to the browser unencrypted (...)".
>
> Should be:
>  "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
>  to the server unencrypted (...)".

Exactly! ;-)

I said the opposite... It was a typo.

Regards.

Gustavo Narea.

Re: Is this an error?

Posted by Hiroaki KAWAI <ka...@iij.ad.jp>.
Committed. Thank you. :)

Astrid Ke゜ler <ke...@kess-net.de> wrote:
-snip-
> > Yes, but I think he was refering to the wording :)
>
> > Instead of :
> >  "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
> >  to the browser unencrypted (...)".
>
> > Should be:
> >  "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
> >  to the server unencrypted (...)".
>
> Eh, yes. You are right :)
>
>  Kess

---Hiroaki Kawai
kawai@iij.ad.jp
Applied Research and Technology Division,
Technology Department,
Internet Initiative Japan Inc.

Re: Is this an error?

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:19:37AM +0200, Astrid Keßler wrote:
>> > Hi.
>>
>> > I was translating the document
>> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/en/howto/auth.html when I found this
>> > phrase: "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
>> > to the browser unencrypted (...)".
>>
>> > I think the author meant that Basic authentication sends the password
>> > from the server to the browser unencrypted... What do you think about it?
>>
>> No, this is correct. The server does not send any password. It sends an
>> "authentication required" to the client. Then the client usually prompts
>> the user for the password and send it to the server.

> Yes, but I think he was refering to the wording :)

> Instead of :
>  "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
>  to the browser unencrypted (...)".

> Should be:
>  "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
>  to the server unencrypted (...)".

Eh, yes. You are right :)

 Kess

Re: Is this an error?

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:19:37AM +0200, Astrid Keßler wrote:
> > Hi.
>
> > I was translating the document
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/en/howto/auth.html when I found this
> > phrase: "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
> > to the browser unencrypted (...)".
>
> > I think the author meant that Basic authentication sends the password
> > from the server to the browser unencrypted... What do you think about it?
>
> No, this is correct. The server does not send any password. It sends an
> "authentication required" to the client. Then the client usually prompts
> the user for the password and send it to the server.

Yes, but I think he was refering to the wording :)

Instead of :
 "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
 to the browser unencrypted (...)".

Should be:
 "(...) Basic authentication sends the password from the client
 to the server unencrypted (...)".

Cheers

Daniel

--