Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com> on 2008/04/21 21:28:50 UTC

[VOTE] new committers

Lately there has been a lot of talk on the Muse mailing list about pulling
all of contributions from the last year together and creating a 2.3
release. Of course, it won't be as simple as that: there are lots of new
features and plenty of important bug fixes based on real world experience
with the code, but unfortunately, the current committers have been pulled
away to other projects. I think that it's time to nominate some new
committers, people who have shown that they can maintain and grow the Muse
code base through their code contributions and time volunteered helping
others on the mailing list.

Below is the list of people that I am nominating to take on the
responsibility of shaping, testing, and delivering Muse 2.3.0; they will be
joined by existing committers Vinh Nguyen (Cisco) and Joel Hawkins
(Compuware).

Saurabh Dravid - Saurabh initially worked on the Eclipse TPTP project,
building Eclipse tooling for Muse users. Much of his bug reporting (and
solving) is split between Apache and Eclipse bug trackers, but together
these two sources show that he is very comfortable getting knee deep in the
code and solving problems. With that knowledge under his belt, Saurabh is
now contributing new features around security and resource discovery,
things that are crucial to deployers and could not be completed without
lots of intense study and determination.

Balan Subramanian - Everything I said about Saurabh can be applied equally
to Balan. Balan has also spent years handling the legal and administrative
issues surrounding open source development with Apache and Eclipse (from a
corporate perspective), and is well-suited to review new contributions and
ensure that due diligence is in place for all of them; the 2.3
contributions come from sources that are more disparate than ever, so this
skill and patience is important.

Chris Twiner - Chris Twiner is a 'real world' user of Muse who has found
and cracked many tough problems in the code base. In my personal opinion,
his contributions on MUSE-270[1] alone are enough to warrant nomination,
but his involvement is not limited to this. In addition to being a
significant code contributor, Chris is an active mailing list problem
solver who often has insight that the original developers could not have
had when they first wrote the code; he has also shown the tact and
resourcefulness that I think is required to balance the needs of new users
with the desire of developers to move forward.

Kam Yee - Kam has made strong contributions in an area that is extremely
important but often overlooked because of its difficulty: he has created a
test harness for Muse FVT and SVT, including WS-* spec compliance. This is
something that we've wanted for a very long time, but the complexity of
WS-* deployment and testing has pushed it to the bottom of the list. I
think Kam's work will be key to ensuring that we don't have regressions in
spec compliance or in the tedious-but-important WSDL/SOAP/codegen issues
that we face all the time.

Committers and PMC members: please reply to muse-dev and general with your
votes. You can either send one vote for all or vote for each individual
separately.

Here is my +1 for all four nominees.

Thanks,
Dan

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MUSE-270

RE: [VOTE] new committers

Posted by "Hawkins, Joel" <Jo...@compuware.com>.
+1 for all. I've looked on with admiration at the contributions these 4
have made to the project. As Dan says - each of these individuals will
be a great asset to the project.

RE: [VOTE] new committers

Posted by "Hawkins, Joel" <Jo...@compuware.com>.

[VOTE][RESULT] new committers

Posted by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com>.
The final votes are:

Joel Hawkins      +1
Dan Jemiolo       +1
Vinh Nguyen       +1

I will start the account creation process with Apache, and hopefully the
new committers will be online in a week or so.

Dan

"Vinh Nguyen (vinguye2)" <vi...@cisco.com> wrote on 04/21/2008 04:08:03
PM:

[VOTE][RESULT] new committers