Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Viram Shah <vi...@increff.com.INVALID> on 2023/01/31 10:08:38 UTC

Dead letter management

Hi Team,

I searched a lot about this topic. We have a complex transactional system
where we want to separate out applications in different microservices. For
that we were exploring kafka (3.3.1). We are stuck at the following point

   1. Any support for message level retries in Consumers if consumers fail
   to process messages? message can move some more offsets after a consumer
   fails to process for that consumer only and after some fixed tries it moves
   to dead letter automatically for that consumer?
   2. Any exponential backoff supported by default in dead letter topic by
   kafka?

--
Best Regards,
Viram Shah

www.increff.com
Follow us: LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/increff/> | Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwpzZCybeSutD6q6YOeHEFg> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/increff>
Read <https://www.gartner.com/reviews/vendor/increff> or contribute
<https://gtnr.it/2Oc6dIM> to Increff reviews on Gartner Peer Insights!

Re: Dead letter management

Posted by Philip Nee <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hey Viram,

AFAIK, I don't think Kafka supports retries on dead messages. Your best bet
would be to handle these cases by your application.  Here's a useful
article, in case you haven't read it:
https://www.confluent.io/blog/spring-kafka-can-your-kafka-consumers-handle-a-poison-pill/#survive-a-poison-pill