Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Len Bellemore <Le...@ControlCircle.com> on 2013/10/31 16:39:38 UTC

copying template to new zone

Hi Guys,

I'm running Cloudstack 4.2 on XenServer 6.1.

I have recently created a new zone.  I'm having an issue with the system vms being created and I wanted some clarification on how exactly the system vm template gets sent across to my new zone.  It looks like CS is realising that the template is already in my first zone, so rather than downloading it again, it is trying to copy it across to the new zone.

The problem I have with that is that I am using a specific storage network that is not directly mountable from my Management Servers.  When I initially set up my first zone, I had to temporarily give my management server a second NIC on my storage network in order for the system vm to be downloaded and then moved to my secondary storage.

However, in my new zone, the networking is set up in such a way that although I can temporarily connect my management server to the storage network in the new zone, I am unable to connect it to the storage network in my original zone.

So, am I right in thinking that the management server in my new zone is trying to mount secondary storage in my original zone to copy the system vm template across?  If so, is there a way around this?  Can I get it to download direct from the internet again?

Thanks
Len

________________________________
IMPORTANT NOTICE. This electronic message contains information from Control Circle Ltd, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended for use only by the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify me by telephone or email (to the number or email address above) immediately. Activity and use of the ControlCircle e-mail system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes

RE: copying template to new zone

Posted by Len Bellemore <Le...@ControlCircle.com>.
Thanks a lot for your input, Geoff,

What I did to get around it was to redeploy the template on the second zone by following the instructions on page 46 of the Administration Guide:

# /usr/share/cloudstack-common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt -m /
mnt/secondary -u http://download.cloud.com/templates/4.2/systemvmtemplate-2013-07-12-
master-xen.vhd.bz2 -h xenserver -s <optional-management-server-secret-key> -F

Once I did this, my SSVM was able to start.  Once it started, it proceeded to re-download the system vm template again (not sure why it did that)

Any templates that I had flagged as "cross-zone" also began to copy across to my second zone.

I guess what I didn't realize is that once the system vm template is installed (via the Management Servers) that the SSVM's take over at that point and that they transfer images between zones via the public internet.  I thought that it would occur via either the management or the storage network.

It's been a great learning exercise.  Albeit a frustrating one!

Thanks again for your help.

Len