Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by lunarfish <da...@lunarfish.co.uk> on 2007/02/01 17:14:15 UTC

noClassDefFound error for class in [webapp]/WEB-INF/lib jar file

http://www.nabble.com/file/6149/stacktrace.txt stacktrace.txt

Hello.

I have installed geoserver 1.4.0 from the war file in my tomcat 5.5.20
installation. It unpacks the war fine. When you log on to the application
through a browser it shows a compiling page which refreshes until it reaches
90 something % and then throws a noClassDefFoundError for
org.geotools.data.DataStoreFactorySpi.class. I have checked and the class is
there in WEB-INF/lib/gt2-api.jar but for some reason it isn't being loaded.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? This was working last time I checked. The
server is hosted so I've asked the hosts if they've changed anything. I've
reinstalled the war file direct from the download so I've not edited
anything.

Any ideas would be greatfully received. Thanks. Dan

Re: noClassDefFound error for class in [webapp]/WEB-INF/lib jar file

Posted by Gaurav Kushwaha <ga...@gmail.com>.
Check your Tomcat's server lib ($TOMCAT_HOME/server/lib) to make sure you
don't have any non-standard (not shipped with standard Tomcat) jars lying
there. If thats the case those jars will be loaded by the tomcat's
classloader and hence the jars and classes in web app won't be visible to
them.
Just to make sure, try it out with a fresh installation of Tomcat. If it
works then the problem lies where I am suggesting.
Gaurav Singh Kushwaha
http://www.chakpak.com

Ph: +91-9880101496
Bangalore, India.

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
Also note that, for some reason, confusing error message can be sent by
classloader. In the past i tried to find out why tomcat was unable to
load a class, this all loks like ti couldn't find the definition. In
fact, what i didn't notice, it's that, earlier in the logs, an error
occured during class static initialization (null pointer exception in a
static initializer) and all following attempts at loading class failed
as if the class did simply not exist.
En l'instant précis du 02/01/07 17:14, lunarfish s'exprimait en ces termes: