Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jon Graham <sj...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/01 19:40:56 UTC

Re: Adjusting Token Spaces and Rebalancing Data

Hello Everyone,

Jonathan,  Thanks for your advice :-)

I have started a loadbalance operation on a busy cassandra node.

The http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations web page indicates that
nodetool streams can
be used to monitor the status of the load balancing operation.

I can't seem to find the nodetool command for cassandra 0.5.0.

Is this a separate package/tool?

Thanks,
Jon

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Jon Graham <sj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> Switching to java 1.6.0_18 seems to have gotten past the 2GB file boundary.
> I now have a new ring token for the first node in my cluster.
>
> Can I run a "loadbalance" on nodes 2-6 to achive more data and token
> balancing?

You should run it on the least-loaded half.  After that there will be
diminishing returns.

> Should I perform a cleanup operation on node 1?

Yes.  And others if your replication factor > 1.

You should really upgrade to 0.5.1 at the very least, if not 0.6 beta,
there are some bugs fixed related to load calculation that will affect
you here.

-Jonathan

Re: Adjusting Token Spaces and Rebalancing Data

Posted by Jon Graham <sj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Switching to java 1.6.0_18 seems to have gotten past the 2GB file boundary.
I now have a new ring token for the first node in my cluster.

Can I run a "loadbalance" on nodes 2-6 to achive more data and token
balancing?

Should I perform a cleanup operation on node 1?

During the loadbalance operation, the following changes occurred:

node 1: changed token value ; data size change from 5.7 GB to 8.2 GB
(loadbalance was performed on this node)
node 2: no token ring changes ; data size remained at 5.7 GB ; again found
the following warning(s) in log file

java.io.IOException: Reached an EOL or something bizzare occured. Reading
from: /node1 BufferSizeRemaining: 16
        at org.apache.cassandra.net.io.StartState.doRead(StartState.java:44)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.net.io.ProtocolState.read(ProtocolState.java:39)
        at org.apache.cassandra.net.io.TcpReader.read(TcpReader.java:95)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.net.TcpConnection$ReadWorkItem.run(TcpConnection.java:445)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

node 3: no token ring changes ; data size remained at 5.7 GB
node 4: no token ring changes ; data size change from 3KB to 5.7 GB
(cassandra selected target of load balance)
node 5: no token ring changes ; data size remained at  3 KB
node 6: no token ring changes ; data size remained at  3 KB

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help on this.
Jon

Posted by Jon Graham <sj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Graham <sj...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Graham <sj...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I did find these exceptions. I issued the loadbalance command on node
192.168.2.10.

INFO [MESSAGING-SERVICE-POOL:3] 2010-03-01 10:34:40,764 TcpConnection.java
(line 315) Closing errored connection
java.nio.channels.SocketChannel[connected local=/192.168.2.10:55973 remote=/
192.168.2.13:7000]
 WARN [MESSAGE-DESERIALIZER-POOL:1] 2010-03-01 10:34:40,964
MessagingService.java (line 555) Running on default stage - beware
 WARN [MESSAGING-SERVICE-POOL:1] 2010-03-01 10:34:40,964 TcpConnection.java
(line 484) Problem reading from socket connected to :
java.nio.channels.SocketChannel[connected local=/192.168.2.10:40758 remote=/
192.168.2.13:7000]
 WARN [MESSAGING-SERVICE-POOL:1] 2010-03-01 10:34:40,964 TcpConnection.java
(line 485) Exception was generated at : 03/01/2010 10:34:40 on thread
MESSAGING-SERVICE-POOL:1
Reached an EOL or something bizzare occured. Reading from:
/192.168.2.13BufferSizeRemaining: 16
java.io.IOException: Reached an EOL or something bizzare occured. Reading
from: /192.168.2.13 BufferSizeRemaining: 16
    at org.apache.cassandra.net.io.StartState.doRead(StartState.java:44)
    at org.apache.cassandra.net.io.ProtocolState.read(ProtocolState.java:39)
    at org.apache.cassandra.net.io.TcpReader.read(TcpReader.java:95)
    at
org.apache.cassandra.net.TcpConnection$ReadWorkItem.run(TcpConnection.java:445)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
 INFO [MESSAGING-SERVICE-POOL:1] 2010-03-01 10:34:40,964 TcpConnection.java
(line 315) Closing errored connection
java.nio.channels.SocketChannel[connected local=/192.168.2.10:40758 remote=/
192.168.2.13:7000]
 INFO [MESSAGE-STREAMING-POOL:1] 2010-03-01 10:35:23,171 TcpConnection.java
(line 315) Closing errored connection
java.nio.channels.SocketChannel[connected local=/192.168.2.10:56728 remote=/
192.168.2.13:7000]
 INFO [MESSAGE-STREAMING-POOL:1] 2010-03-01 10:35:23,221 FileStreamTask.java
(line 79) Exception was generated at : 03/01/2010 10:35:23 on thread
MESSAGE-STREAMING-POOL:1
Value too large for defined data type
java.io.IOException: Value too large for defined data type
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo0(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferToDirectly(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.cassandra.net.TcpConnection.stream(TcpConnection.java:226)
    at org.apache.cassandra.net.FileStreamTask.run(FileStreamTask.java:55)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I can certainly upgrade to 0.6 and try a loadbalance there, do you
still think it is advisable?

All of my key/value entries are well under 1024 bytes but I have millions of
them.

 Do you think I have a data corruption problem?

Thanks,
Jon

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Graham <sj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jonathan.

[...]

Would the existing data on nodes 1,2,3 be moved to the boot strapped nodes?

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Graham <sj...@gmail.com>.
Jonathan, Thanks for the quick reply.

After starting a loadbalance operation for about 30 minutes,  I can see 3
ColumnFamily-tmp-Data, Filter and Index files
on a lightly loaded node. The Data file has a size of 2,147,483,647 (max
signed int) on the node being loaded. I hope I didn't run out of Int space
during the load balance operation.

The file sizes don't seem to be changing in the column family folder of the
newly loaded node. The system/LocationInfo files haven't changed in 20
minutes. The 3 ColumnFamily files still have the -tmp- name.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.