Posted to user@pig.apache.org by hc busy <hc...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/30 05:09:55 UTC

funny error

Guys, I'm seeing this one

2998

Unexpected internal error.

Can we be more specific or dump a stack trace when this happens?

RE: funny error

Posted by Santhosh Srinivasan <sm...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Are you sure that the 2998 and 1007 both popped up?

Posted by hc busy <hc...@gmail.com>.

Re: funny error

Posted by Thejas M Nair <te...@yahoo-inc.com>.
If it crashed while executing MR job , you might have more information in the logs of the failed hadoop tasks.
Its possible that for some reason (bug?) pig might have failed to get the complete error from hadoop task.
-Thejas

On 9/30/10 2:32 PM, "hc busy" <hc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, that's a great point! The only  reason why I'm creating a large 60k
pigscript to run (among  over half a dozen people adding/modifying scripts)
is that when pig compiles script, it optimizes to give the best performance.

I mean, otherwise we'd actually have to manually create optimized pieces of
scripts that have clearly defined interface in the form of an HDFS file. But
even then, I don't believe it will run as fast as a pig script concatenation
of all of the scripts.

(btw, can somebody confirm this fact for me?)

That's why when I actually run the script on a full set of data, it is a
huge piece of script post concatenation, marco expansion, var substitution,
etc., etc., etc... rendering it even more like assembly language. I mean the
alias names are like

temp_count_group_by_group_b_sales_by_metro_month_1

And then I freak out when I see something like the 2998 error. My eyes glaze
over, and I'm like, okay, it's time to email pig-user group... And to answer
the other question, I eventually got to the duplicate alias after rebuilding
everything yet again and redeploying. My current hypothesis is that maybe an
scp failed and I didn't see the error message and one of our own libraries
was corrupt ?

It might have been an UDF that we're using that crashed it...

if only I had the stacktrace...

Re: funny error

Posted by hc busy <hc...@gmail.com>.

Re: funny error