Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/21 09:30:32 UTC

Re: [SURVEY] How does your team retrieve artifacts?

Hi Jason,

Is this related to your previous suggestion that we should only
support HTTP in Maven 2.1, or is there some other objective in mind?

Thanks,
Brett

2008/5/21 Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just trying to get some data on what protocol is used to retrieve
> artifacts. This question strictly relates to what you use for retrieval.
> Most people I have seen use a web server or a shared network drive, but I'd
> like to get some feedback.
>
> [ ] Our team uses HTTP to retrieve our artifacts
> [ ] Our team intends to use HTTP to retrieve our artifacts
> [ ] Our team uses the filesystem
> [ ] Our team does not use HTTP or the filesystem because .... please say
> what protocol you use and the reason
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com
>
> A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is not
> worth knowing.
>
> — Alan Perlis

Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Re: [SURVEY] How does your team retrieve artifacts?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Mostly using http or https, though for the Geronimo TCK builds we are
using sftp for a private repository... mostly because it was less
work/infrastructure to setup https and than it was to re-use the
existing ssh channels.

The Geronimo build also use the file protocol internally to hook up
some patched artifacts.

--jason

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [JUNK] Re: [SURVEY] How does your team retrieve artifacts?

Posted by Joshua ChaitinPollak <jp...@kivasystems.com>.
It looks like Jason's original message was tossed by out mail server
as junk. I'm not sure why. Anyway, we use HTTP (hosted by
Artifactory), but I would not be infavor of eliminating the
possibility of other protocols.

-Josh

On May 22, 2008, at 1:03 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

>>> --
>>> Brett Porter
>>> Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Joshua ChaitinPollak | Software Engineer
Kiva Systems, Inc., 225 Wildwood Ave, Woburn, MA 01970

Re: [SURVEY] How does your team retrieve artifacts?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 22/05/2008, at 2:55 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Um, why would you want to only support http?

I wasn't suggesting that, I was just asking Jason (van Zyl) if the
survey was related to such a proposal he had made in the past.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.