Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/02/08 17:25:01 UTC

Interest in BSF as a Jakarta project?

Background:

   The Bean Scripting Framework (BSF) is an architecture for incorporating
   scripting into Java applications and applets. Scripting languages such
   as Netscape Rhino (Javascript), VBScript, Perl, Tcl, Python, NetRexx and
   Rexx are commonly used to augment an application's function or to script
   together a set of application components to form an application. It is
   open source, and can be found at
   http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/bsf.

It is an optional addition to several projects, including Ant, Xalan, and
Taglibs.  If it were contributed to Apache, it's license would change to
the ASL.

At the time I originally proposed it as an open source project, a number of
people suggested that I pursue Apache.  Not willing to pursue a battle on
multiple fronts (within IBM and Apache PMCs), I elected at the time to take
a more cautious route.  Now that I am part of the establishment on both
sides <grin>, I am willing to reconsider this, but *only* if there is
interest or pull from the Apache side.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Interest in BSF as a Jakarta project?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 11:25  8/2/01 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
>Background:
>
>   The Bean Scripting Framework (BSF) is an architecture for incorporating
>   scripting into Java applications and applets. Scripting languages such
>   as Netscape Rhino (Javascript), VBScript, Perl, Tcl, Python, NetRexx and
>   Rexx are commonly used to augment an application's function or to script
>   together a set of application components to form an application. It is
>   open source, and can be found at
>   http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/bsf.
>
>It is an optional addition to several projects, including Ant, Xalan, and
>Taglibs.  If it were contributed to Apache, it's license would change to
>the ASL.
>
>At the time I originally proposed it as an open source project, a number of
>people suggested that I pursue Apache.  Not willing to pursue a battle on
>multiple fronts (within IBM and Apache PMCs), I elected at the time to take
>a more cautious route.  Now that I am part of the establishment on both
>sides <grin>, I am willing to reconsider this, but *only* if there is
>interest or pull from the Apache side.

+10000

Hell yes !
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Interest in BSF as a Jakarta project?

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net>.
on 2/8/01 5:18 PM, Jon Stevens at jon@latchkey.com wrote:

> ...before adding new projects. [[we should get our act together]]

+1

--
James Duncan Davidson
http://x180.net/                                             !try; do();

Re: Interest in BSF as a Jakarta project?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/8/01 4:56 PM, "Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> I think that your timing is bad and that we need to figure out the overall
> Jakarta Project's warts before adding new ones.

Ouch, I just re-read that. I did NOT mean to imply at all that BSF is a
wart. :-(

It should have read:

...before adding new projects.

Sorry for the typo...

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous
<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/> && <http://java.apache.org/turbine/>

Re: Interest in BSF as a Jakarta project?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
I think that your timing is bad and that we need to figure out the overall
Jakarta Project's warts before adding new ones.

However, once that is done, I would be +0 (ie: i don't have time to
contribute to it directly) for adding it in.

-jon

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com>.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Background:
>
>    The Bean Scripting Framework (BSF) is an architecture for incorporating
>    scripting into Java applications and applets. Scripting languages such
>    as Netscape Rhino (Javascript), VBScript, Perl, Tcl, Python, NetRexx and
>    Rexx are commonly used to augment an application's function or to script
>    together a set of application components to form an application. It is
>    open source, and can be found at
>    http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/bsf.
>
> It is an optional addition to several projects, including Ant, Xalan, and
> Taglibs.  If it were contributed to Apache, it's license would change to
> the ASL.
>
> At the time I originally proposed it as an open source project, a number of
> people suggested that I pursue Apache.  Not willing to pursue a battle on
> multiple fronts (within IBM and Apache PMCs), I elected at the time to take
> a more cautious route.  Now that I am part of the establishment on both
> sides <grin>, I am willing to reconsider this, but *only* if there is
> interest or pull from the Apache side.

+1

I am using BSF in a GUI application framework, and I would love
to use BSF to make Turbine fully scriptable someday! Woo hoo!

jvz.

---

Jason van Zyl