Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com> on 2003/09/01 00:21:32 UTC

Re: [vote] XML Parsing

 >> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
 >>I suggest the following plan:
 >>
 >>* We define POJOs that represent the data objects but which are not
 >>bound to XML
 >>  or to any usage model (e.g. DConfig). This provides us with an object
 >>model
 >>  for the data everyone can use no matter which framework we end up
 >>using.

+1

Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	Afterward, we should also agree on how XPath navigation should be
> done.  Right now the JSR-88 code uses JDom, but it seems kind of wasteful
> to load the same document twice (once into objects, once into JDom).
> Perhaps we should just agree to implement a limited XPath handler (it
> could operate on our POJOs if the naming and accessors are consistent), or
> to use the one in commons.  But I guess I'm getting ahead of myself.
This is a good issue to bring up - some code can be shielded from xml
specifics, but in some cases dealing with objects rather than a document
model is inconvenient (eg need to do xpath expressions).  So, it may not
be appropriate for all code to use the POJOs. BTW: does anybody have any
experience with the JXPath from commons that Aaron refers to? Is it fast?

Jan