Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by toffeemak <to...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/18 04:18:22 UTC

Newbie question

Hi,

I am a newbie of log4j.

1. I would like to log the messages to NT event log. I know that the
log4j package come with a dll file. I tried to use it. But I find
that the Source is always "log4j", Type is "Error", Category
is "4096". How can I change these values(Type, Source, Category,
Event and User)?

2. When should I use NDC/MDC?

3. When should I use filter?

4. I am gonna to buy the complete manual of log4j. Would like to get
some feedbacks on it.

5. I have an application, I would like to log the fatal errors to nt
event log and the all the warning messages and fatal messages store
in a file. Should I define as follow?

log4j.rootLogger = FATAL, A1
log4j.rootLogger = WARN, A2

where A1 is nt event appender
where A2 is daily rolling appender

6. I have a few web applications running in a JVM. Can each
application has their own log4j properties files?

Thanks in advance.

Fanny

Using Log4j in Applet which is part of a web based application

Posted by sunita desai <su...@cisco.com>.
Hi,

I am using Log4j for logging messages in a web based application.
I am presently appending the logs to console, File and the Syslog daemon on
Solaris box.
Though I have some problems wiht syslog appenders(only error level messages
are logged), other appenders works fine.
And I also have an applet as part of this application, which will run in
Client's machine
I request you to kindly let me know, how to go ahead with logging in Applet.
Any pointers, usage examples will be very very helpful.

Sunita