Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2017/11/25 22:52:39 UTC

JDK & JavaFX versions

Hi all,

Would it be ok to use Java 8 for NetBeans sources? Or is there a maximum
version? Can we count on JavaFX being installed for the IDE to run?
AFAIK JavaFX is not a requirement but, should it be?

Thanks,
Antonio

Re: AW: JDK & JavaFX versions

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
El 26/11/17 a las 19:06, Christian Lenz escribió:
> I don’t know it exactly, but as you can see it here: https://github.com/Chris2011/NbScratchFile/blob/develop/src/main/resources/org/chrisle/netbeans/plugins/utils/WebViewDialog.java#L30 I use the javaFX webview to add it into a JDialog, to create the UI with HTML5. But I can’t remember, that I had to install JavaFX seperately. Maybe I’m wrong but it is a dependency, which Comes with my plugin afaik.

I think Oracle's JDK bundles JavaFX by default in most popular
platforms. That may be your case.

+1

Re: JDK & JavaFX versions

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 6:06 PM Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>
wrote:

> I don’t know it exactly, but as you can see it here:
> https://github.com/Chris2011/NbScratchFile/blob/develop/src/main/resources/org/chrisle/netbeans/plugins/utils/WebViewDialog.java#L30
> I use the javaFX webview to add it into a JDialog, to create the UI with
> HTML5. But I can’t remember, that I had to install JavaFX seperately. Maybe
> I’m wrong but it is a dependency, which Comes with my plugin afaik.

Yes, but that means it doesn't work at all where there's no JavaFX.  My
understanding of html4j is that whether embedded internally (JavaFX) or
launched in an external browser (no JavaFX) it could still interact with
the IDE via a common API?

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

AW: JDK & JavaFX versions

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
>>"Pretty soon" though
>> OracleJDK will merge into OpenJDK so I assume this means most JavaFX bits
>> will land in OpenJDK proper?
>It would surprise me if that changed the situation at all - anything
> concrete to back that up?

Nothing concrete. I just assume that since OracleJDK has JavaFX everywhere OpenJDK will also have it in a few years.

--emi

Re: JDK & JavaFX versions

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,