Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2002/12/10 19:39:31 UTC

[INSTRUMENTATION] integration question

Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>Based on the build file there appear to be the following dependencies.

<snip>

>>  excalibur-instrument                         0.3   UNRELEASED
>>  excalibur-instrument-manager                 0.3   UNRELEASED
>>  excalibur-instrument-manager-interfaces      0.3   UNRELEASED
>>

>Yep, we need to release these.  I think only the implementation
>stuff has really changed, the interface is fairly constant.

A question for Pete and Berin - is is possible/reasonable to isolate
instrumentation depedencies into a lifecycle extension handler?  Just
looking at the instrumentation doc pages it would appear so on an
initial read - however the doc is more focussed on the client usage
point of view as distict from the container perspective.

Any thoughts ?

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: [INSTRUMENTATION] integration question

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
> A question for Pete and Berin - is is possible/reasonable to isolate
> instrumentation depedencies into a lifecycle extension handler?  Just
> looking at the instrumentation doc pages it would appear so on an
> initial read - however the doc is more focussed on the client usage
> point of view as distict from the container perspective.

Should be absolutely no problem.  Components which implement
Instrumentable are designed to function correctly even if the container
is not Instrument aware.

The only drawback with doing this is that several components of Fortress
itself are currently instrumentable.  It currently will instrument the
lookup and releasing of components even if those components are not
themselves instrumentable.   In order for that to work, the instrument
jars must always be available.  If they are always available, then there
is no reason to change Instrumentable to an extension lifecycle.  Thoughts?

Leif

RE: [INSTRUMENTATION] integration question

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.

Definitely doable.